Dust off those tennis racquets, pick up the walking and running pace, and swing that bowling ball! It’s time to get ready for the 2014 Alabama Senior Olympics events that begin April 26 and end June 7, as part of the Alabama Sports Festival, Inc.
What you need to know:
- Anyone who is 50 years old to 100+ is welcome to join the fun.
- You’ll compete with others your age, give or take a few years, based on your age on Dec. 31, 2014.
- Events include archery, cycling, golf, a 5k and 10k road race, a 1500 and 5000 meter race walk, swimming, race walk, several track and field events, badminton, bowling, horseshoes, racquetball, basketball, table tennis, tennis, volleyball, shuffleboard and pickle ball. The events are in Montgomery, Prattville, Birmingham, Selma and Opelika.
- For $35 you can participate in as many events as you can schedule, with an additional $2 fee for each bowling game and $60 for golf. Team sports are $40 a team. The entry fee also includes a t-shirt and banquet meal. Additional tickets for the banquet are $7.50 each. Financial assistance is available to those who qualify, based on available resources.
- The Alabama Senior Olympics is sanctioned by the Alabama Senior Sports Organization and the National Senior Games Association.
- To register or get more information, call Alabama Senior Olympics, Inc. at 334-242-4496.