AARP and the Colorado School and Public Employee Retirement Association are sponsoring an Essay Contest with the title “My Grandparents are the best grandparents in the world!”. Essays will be judged by CSPERA members and the results will be announced by September 25, 2013. There will be a 1st and 2nd place winner in each of the 4 CSPERA State Divisions: the Metro Division, the Northeast Division, the Southern Division, and the Western Division. Each winner will receive as follows:
1st Place – A $75 Visa gift card; 2nd Place – A $50 Visa gift card
In addition to these awards, AARP will present a $500 stipend to the school or organization the winners attend. Each and every entrant will be sent a participation certificate. Each winner and their classroom or organization will receive a children’s book to add to their library.
The four division winners will be invited and honored at the AARP Volunteers Award Brunch on October 11, 2013.
This is an opportunity for students to have a meaningful opportunity to practice their writing skills. The teacher role is to introduce the contest, but all writing should take place outside the school day.
If you have questions, you should contact CSPERA at (303) 326-1808. Again, let me highlight that this is a meaningful opportunity for fifth grade students to practice writing skills with minimal involvement of their classroom teacher.
CSPERA Grandparent Essay Contest Chairman
- 150 – 200 words in length not including the title.
- Legibly written or electronically generated and printed in English. Use only one side of the paper. Additional sheets of paper may be used if necessary.
- Contains the components of a formal essay: i.e. introduction, supporting points and conclusion.
- Student name and school name written at the end of the essay.
- Entry form included with essay. Grandparent Essay Application 2013
- Original work of the author.
- Mail or e-mail to CSPERA at the addresses below no later than September 9, 2013.
Colorado School and Public Employee Retirement Association
15701 E. 1st Avenue, Suite 112, Aurora, CO 80011
Phone: 303.326.1808 or 1.800.748.2846 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
[Photo courtesy by RainerPlendl/iStockphoto]