AARP is currently accepting applications for a communication and community outreach intern in our Philadelphia office for the 2014-2015 fall/spring semester. If you are or know anyone interested in the position, email Angela Foreshaw your resume at email@example.com. Applicants must be able to commit to 20 hours per week for this paid position.
In this communication and community outreach internship you will build your resume while gaining first-hand knowledge of how the nation’s largest non-profit organization works, develops and conveys its message to 40 million members across the United States.
This internship includes, but is not limited to, volunteer management, program development and design, the coordination of events and volunteers, and organizational communication. It also involves communication initiatives directed toward AARP’s membership base, volunteers, and legislators which includes public relations, media relations, message design, health communication, and mass media.
As an intern, you will gain valuable work experience with an opportunity to participate in advocacy and outreach campaigns and expand your knowledge of the communication process “in the field.”
- Creating and managing programs
- Design collateral materials for public education
- Support Coalition building efforts
- Volunteer Management
- Liaising with vendors and accounts department as needed
- Preparing materials to be distributed at events, such as flyers and outreach material
- Overseeing the event registration process from crafting messaging, invitations, capturing RSVPs and conducting follow-up communications
- Assisting with important non-partisan events, including community outreach events, legislative/advocacy events, press events and public forums
- Working with the Communication Director and other staff to create press releases, Op Eds, brochures, and other written materials for the media, general public, community organizations and legislators.
- Composing communication materials to be distributed to our members
- Implement Social Media tactics