Are you over 50 and looking for ways to improve your current financial situation? Have you ever dreamed of being your own boss? AARP and the University of Hartford will host a free Work for Yourself@50+ workshop to help you get started on Tuesday, Sept. 12, at 9:30 a.m. at the AARP Connecticut office in Hartford. Parking for the event will be free.
AARP Foundation’s Work for Yourself@50+ initiative helps people gain the knowledge, support, and resources they need to make informed decisions about working for themselves and to take the right first steps toward successful self-employment.
The number of Americans age 50+ who are working or looking for work has grown significantly over the past decade, and is expected to continue to increase. In fact, 35 percent of U.S. labor force participants will be age 50+ in 2022. This compares to just 25 percent in 2002.
The decision to start your own business can be both exciting and daunting. This program breaks the choices down for older adults in an approachable way through five steps:
• A careful consideration of the potential benefits and risks of working for yourself
• Exercises to help develop the self-employment idea
• A realistic overview of what it takes to pursue a self-employment opportunity
• Guidance to help avoid pitfalls and scams
• Ways to find trustworthy support and services
Register for the free Work for Yourself @50+ workshop by calling 888-339-5617. More information is available at www.aarpfoundation.org/workforyourself.
Date: Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2017
Time: 9:30 am – 12 pm
Location: AARP Connecticut, 21 Oak Street, 1st floor, Hartford, CT 06106
* Note: Free parking for the event in the 21 Oak Street garage
And stay tuned for details on additional workshop dates in October and November.