— (Jackson, MS) – As a part of Operation: Stop Scams, AARP Mississippi is presenting a free shredding event on Friday, April 28, 2017, from noon to 3:00 p.m. at the United Artist Parkway Theater parking lot. The theater is located on 1075 Parkway Blvd. in Flowood. Shredding services are open to the public.  Representative Mark Baker will speak promptly at noon on methods Mississippians can utilize to defend themselves against fraud. AARP Mississippi aims to help Mississippians in the fight …

— AARP Mississippi is presenting a free Caregiving Webinar on Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 7 p.m. You can participate in this live, interactive event from the comfort of your home or office.  Participants will receive tips and resources on starting a caregiving conversation, forming a team, making a plan, finding support and caring for themselves as they continue to care for others. Every year, more than 500,000 Mississippians perform a great labor of love by helping their parents, spouses, and …

— Family caregivers spend a great deal of time tending to their loved ones’ needs. They help with bathing, meal preparation, medications, transportation and other tasks of daily living. Considering the energy required, it is no surprise that caregivers need support, too. AARP Mississippi is offering a webinar (an online seminar) for caregivers on Tuesday, May 9, at 7 p.m. Participants will get tips on starting a caregiving conversation, forming a team, making a plan, finding support and caring for themselves …

— Learn how to start or grow your small business from fellow entrepreneurs. Live SBA Entrepreneur webinar takes place on Tuesday, April 18th at 6 p.m. CT Looking to turn your unique talents, hobbies or skills into a small business? Or if you’ve already started a business, are you searching for ideas to keep your dreams of success on track? Register for the AARP webinar, From Passion to Profit, and learn from our panel of innovative and inspiring entrepreneurs as they share …

— Distracted Driving 101: It May Save Your Life Making a call on your phone. Changing the radio station. Turning to talk to kids in the back seat. These are minor tasks, but distracted driving can lead to the same devastating results as driving under the influence. Are your habits—or those of your loved one—putting you at risk? Now you can do something about it. Register now for the AARP webinar, Distracted Driving 101 on April 25, 2017 at 6 p.m. CT, …

— Take a virtual tour and learn how to make every room safer. April 12, 2017 6 p.m. CT Are you a family caregiver? If so, don’t miss Home Safe Home, a virtual room-by-room makeover tour on how to make every room in your home safer for loved ones. And stay tuned as caregiving author Sherri Snelling and livable communities expert Karen Kafantaris answer your questions from the studio. What will you learn? Dozens of smart solutions to make any home …

— Fun new way for Mississippians to learn job search skills, family caregiving advice and how to stay safe online. Can you sell yourself to a potential employer in the time it takes to ride an elevator? Take the awkwardness out of the conversation when you’re helping a loved one plan for the future? Keep yourself safe from a hacker or handle the four toughest questions you’ll ever face in an interview? Introducing AARP’s new interactive videos that put you in …

— Almost 90 percent of Americans 65 and older want to stay in their home as they age, but Mississippi lags behind 35 states and the District of Columbia in using Medicaid funds to help residents achieve that goal. Only 27 percent of Medicaid dollars earmarked for long-term care of older Mississippians and those with disabilities are allocated to home- and community-based services. The other 73 percent pays for nursing home care. “Most people want to stay in their own home …

— Making Your Mess Your Message Featuring Dan Gasby with Sherri Snelling February 27, 2017 Special Evening Time 6 p.m. CT Register for our webinar and you could win a copy of the inspiring book “Before I Forget:  Love, Hope, Help & Acceptance in our Fight against Alzheimer’s” by B. Smith and Dan Gasby.* The reality of becoming a family caregiver seen through the eye’s of B. Smith’s husband Lifestyle guru B. Smith and Dan Gasby had it all. They were partners in …

— Proposed ‘Voucher’ Plan Threatens Benefits of Mississippi Residents (Jackson, MS) — AARP today launched a comprehensive campaign to protect Medicare in the face of proposals by some in Congress that would hurt hardworking Mississippians who have paid into the program their entire working lives. Congressional proposals to change Medicare into a voucher system would dramatically increase health care costs and risks for both current and future retirees. Over the next few weeks, AARP staff and volunteers will meet with members …