Cars have changed. So have traffic rules, driving conditions, and the roads you travel every day.
Some drivers age 50+ have never looked back since they got their first driver’s license, but even the most experienced drivers can benefit from brushing up on their driving skills.
By taking a driver safety course you’ll learn the current rules of the road, defensive driving techniques, and how to operate your vehicle more safely in today’s increasingly challenging driving environment. You’ll learn how you can manage and accommodate common age-related changes in vision, hearing and reaction time.
AARP’s four-hour driver safety class is taught by trained AARP volunteers. There are no tests.
The cost is $15 for members and $20 for non-members. The course is open to people of all ages. Those who complete the course are eligible for a discount on their auto insurance premiums of at least five percent. (The discount varies by company.)
Pre-registration is required. For help with locating a class in your area or to register for a class, call toll-free 877-846-3299. A online class locator can also be found here along with how to register.
Here are upcoming driver safety classes.
- Sept. 2, Senior Center, Grand Forks
- Sept. 2, Senior Center, Minot
- Sept. 9, Ed Clapp Senior Center, Fargo
- Sept. 17, Volunteer Center, Devils Lake
- Sept. 17, Altru Psychiatry Center, Grand Forks
- Sept. 22, Lord of Life Lutheran Church, Bismarck
- Oct. 1, Lamplighters Senior Center, Garrison
- Oct. 7, Senior Center, Grand Forks
- Oct. 7, Senior Center, Minot
- Oct. 13, Senor Center, Bismarck
- Oct. 14, Eagles Club, Harvey
- Oct. 14, Ed Clapp Senior Center, Fargo
- Oct. 15, Public Library, Dickinson
- Oct. 22, Sanford Health, Bismarck
- Oct. 27, Senior Citizen’s Club, Beulah
- Nov. 4, Senior Center, Grand Forks
- Nov. 4, Senior Center, Minot
- Nov. 11, Ed Clapp Senior Center, Fargo
- Nov. 16, Altru Psychiatry Center, Grand Forks
- Nov. 18, CHI Riverview, Fargo
- Nov. 19, CHI St. Alexius, Bismarck
- Dec. 2, Senior Center, Grand Forks
- Dec. 2, Senior Center, Minot
- Dec. 9, Ed Clapp Senior Center, Fargo
AARP offers the safety course online as well, where you can take it at your own pace in the convenience of your home. The fee is $17.95 for members and $21.95 for non-members. Go here for information on the online course.
[Photo courtesy of CoreBurn/Flickr]