It’s time to say, “Enough is enough!” Despite the tough economic times facing Californians, Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) wants more of your money. PG&E is asking the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) for a $5.33 billion rate increase – which would raise the company’s revenues by an astounding 33% and be paid for by electric customers like you.
Struggling customers will face substantially higher electric bills while PG&E boosts profits. Under PG&E’s proposal, you would see your monthly electric bill go up in 2014…and again in 2015…and again in 2016. The average customer would end up paying $160 more a year. This is no modest increase: low-income older Californians already spend on average 10% of their income on utilities. Increased rates will force these individuals to risk their health and comfort to be able to afford heating or air conditioning.
PG&E promises to improve safety, but won’t say how they’ll spend the money they’re asking you to hand over. We can’t just write a blank check! PG&E must be accountable for promised repairs – they cannot burden California consumers with the cost of their unnecessary capital expenses that do nothing to improve safety.
What can you do? You can fight this increase by taking any (or all!) of these actions:
- Email the CPUC to let them know you OPPOSE PG&E’s $5.33 billion dollar rate increase
- Attend a hearing in your community to speak out against higher electric rates
- Tell your personal story of how higher utility rates will impact you and your family
- Sign up to receive our Action Alerts on important issues that matter to you
- Join us as an advocacy volunteer and meet with elected officials on policy and legislation
- Share this post with friends, family, and neighbors to let them know how they can take action
Join us at these upcoming public hearings, or find another hearing near you:
Wednesday, May 22nd – 7:00 p.m.
War Memorial Building (map)
San Bruno Recreation Center
251 City Park Way
San Bruno, CA 94066
Thursday, May 23rd – 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
CPUC San Francisco Office (map)
505 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94102
Wednesday, May 29th – 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
Hugh Burns Building Auditorium (map)
2550 Mariposa Mall
Fresno, CA 93721
Wednesday, June 12th – 7:00 p.m.
City Hall Council Chambers (map)
1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza
Oakland, CA 94612
Can’t attend in person? Visit action.aarp.org/CAutilities to email the CPUC and say enough is enough. Be the voice of your family and your community by speaking out against higher electric rates!