Caregiving may be one of the most important roles you will ever take on in your life. You may have become a caregiver suddenly or perhaps your role has evolved over time. No matter where you are in the continuum of caregiving—starting to plan, helping to coordinate a big move, or taking care of a family member in your home—having resources at your fingertips will make the process easier.
With many organizations offering different types of help and services, it can be a challenge to sort out the specific type of help or services best suited for your needs. AARP developed this resource guide with you— the caregiver—in mind as a starting point to help you find the services and supports you need throughout your caregiving journey. We hope this resource guide can assist you in the following ways:
- Help you get the type of assistance you need. This directory lists many government and nonprofit resources, which you can access both in-person and online.
- Help you connect with others. You’ll discover, if you have not already, that you’re a part of a community of caregivers and caregiver supporters. You are truly not alone.
- Help take care of yourself. This is vitally important but something that many caregivers often overlook. The act of caregiving can take a physical and mental toll on the caregiver. So, it’s important that you make selfcare a top priority.
- View or download and print the Caregiver Guide in English.
- View or download and print the Caregiver Guide in Spanish.
- Find additional AARP resources for caregivers at aarp.org/caregiving
- Share your caregiving story with us at iheartcaregivers.org