Scams and frauds are on the rise, but Mainers can take active steps to protect themselves and their families! AARP Maine is once again collaborating with the Maine Sheriff’s Association to host free shredding events and medicine disposal events. Please join us and bring your friends and family!
In April, we worked with the County Sheriff’s Offices in Augusta, Bangor and Portland and together, we shredded over 50,000 pounds this year!
Would you like to volunteer with us for one of these events? Shredding events are fun, too! Call Jane at 1-866-554-5380 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
SHRED IT! Bring all sensitive paperwork that includes account numbers, birth dates, passwords, PINs, signatures and Social Security and/or driver’s license numbers. To protect your privacy, consider other items that include names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses. And when in doubt, shred it! (Please note: No need to remove staples or paperclips, but the following will not be accepted at this event: Electronics, plastic of any kind, binder clips or plastic binders).
NOTE: There is no quantity limit. We’ll shred whatever you’ve got!
Your documents will be shredded on-site and you’ll have peace of mind knowing you’ve taken an important step in the fight against identity theft and fraud.
SAFELY DISPOSE OF MEDICATIONS! If you take prescription drugs, you may be one of the millions of consumers whose medicine cabinet could use a Spring cleaning. As we did last year, we are teaming up with the Maine Sheriff’s Association to offer a free medicine disposal event at the same time as each of our shredding events. You’ll be able to safely dispose of your unused or expired medicines.
Our shredding events and workshops are posted on the main page of this website. For your convenience, the following FREE shredding have been scheduled:
- Windham Public Safety Day – Brought to you by the Windham Fire Department and Gorham Savings Bank – October 14, 2017 from 10am-1pm
- Windham Public Safety Building, 375 Gray Road, Windham
- Lewiston: October 28, 2017 from 10am-2pm (in collaboration with the Lewiston Police Department and the Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office)
- Lewiston High School, 156 East Ave, Lewiston
- Waterboro: October 28, 2017 from 10am-2pm (in collaboration with York County Sheriff’s Office)
- Hannaford Supermarket parking lot, 20 Sokokis Trail, Waterboro
- Eastport: November 4, 2017 from 10am-1pm (in collaboration with Eastport Police Department and Town of Eastport)
- The Former Eastport Town Hall, 78 High Street, Eastport
- Portland – this is for computer/copier hard drives only – NO paper: November 18, 2017 from 10am-1pm (in collaboration with the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office)
- Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office, 36 County Way, Portland, ME