AARP AARP States New Hampshire Local Resources

Free Tax Preparation Offered by AARP Tax-Aide

W-2 form

Filing your 2012 federal tax return doesn’t have to be a harrowing experience.   AARP Tax-Aide is here to help, with its no-fee tax-preparation and filing service for low- to middle-income taxpayers of any age, with special attention to individuals age 60 and over. You don’t need to be an AARP or retiree to use this service. 

“AARP’s Tax-Aide services are provided free of charge thanks to funding from AARP Foundation and the work of hundreds of volunteer counselors,” said AARP New Hampshire State Director Kelly Clark.  “Last year, Tax-Aide volunteers helped nearly 18,000 New Hampshire residents file their federal income tax returns, bringing in over $12 million in refunds.  And all of our volunteer tax counselors have passed IRS certification exams.” 

There are nearly 60 sites across New Hampshire; many have evening and weekend hours and all sites are handicap accessible.  Counselors at many locations can also provide guidance regarding eligibility for property tax abatements from cities and towns.  Some sites will reopen briefly in May or June to help file New Hampshire property tax rebates. 

To find the best time and location for you, use one of four easy options: 

(1)  Check out the site schedule

(2)  Call 211, New Hampshire’s statewide resource number

(3)  Go to

(4)  Call 1-888-AARPNOW (1-888-227-7669) 

Don’t forget to bring these tax-related documents when you get your tax return prepared:

  • Social Security number/cards for yourself and all dependents.
  • W-2 forms from each employer.
  • Unemployment compensation statements.
  • All 1099 forms, including Social Security, banks, brokerage, pensions, etc.  If you have a 1099-B, please bring documentation showing the purchase price of assets you sold.
  • All forms indicating federal income tax withheld or paid.
  • Child care provider information (name, employer ID, Social Security numbers.)
  • All receipts or canceled checks, if itemizing deductions.
  • A copy of last year’s return, if you have it. 

“Filing income taxes is often compared to having a root canal,” added Clark.  “It’s something that is necessary but not often enjoyable.  While we can’t offer help for your dental services, we can offer AARP Tax-Aide services.” 

Interested in volunteering for the AARP New Hampshire Tax-Aide program?  Want to help others take the anxiety out of tax time?  Send us an email at  You’ll be glad you did. 

AARP Tax-Aide is administered by the AARP Foundation in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Services.  The AARP Foundation is an affiliated 501(c)(3) nonpartisan, charitable organization established in 1961.  In its 46 th year, AARP’s program is the largest free tax assistance and preparation service. 

Other resources:

Taxes:  submit a question 

Volunteer for Tax-Aide 

Don’t let your tax refund get ripped off by identity thieves 

Seven tax tips for job seekers 

IRS:  5 tax scams to avoid 

Spot fraud before it gets you

About AARP New Hampshire
Contact information and more from your state office. Learn what we are doing to champion social change and help you live your best life.