Caregiving may be one of the most important, and challenging, roles you’ll ever take on. No matter where you are in your caregiving journey — starting to plan; taking care of a family member in your home, in a facility, or from a distance; or managing end-of-life caregiving responsibilities — having resources at your fingertips will make the process easier.
AARP developed this family caregiver guide with you, the caregiver, in mind and as a starting point to help you find the services and support you might need throughout your journey.
To order a print copy of this online guide, call the toll-free AARP Family Caregiving Resource Line at 877-333-5885 and indicate which state(s) you would like to receive. A copy will be mailed to you.
- 2-1-1 Oklahoma offers information and referral across the spectrum of human needs, including rental assistance, food pantries, affordable housing, health resources, transportation, caregiver support, financial programs, and literacy and job programs.
- Regional contacts:
- 1-877-362-1606 toll-free (Oklahoma City and Western Oklahoma)
- 1-877-836-2111 toll-free (Tulsa and Eastern Oklahoma)
- Oklahoma Human Services Area Agency on Aging (AAA) (405-521-2281 | Senior Info Line: 1-800-211-2116 toll-free)
- Aging Services contracts with 11 AAA in Oklahoma to provide free services to residents 60 years and older. Services provided: congregate and home-delivered meals, evidence-based health promotion, nutrition education, in-home assistance, outreach, legal services, transportation, long-term care ombudsman.
- Oklahoma Insurance Department Medicare Assistance Program Services (1-800-763-2828)
- The Senior Health Insurance Counseling Program (SHIP) is a nonprofit organization that provides accurate and objective counseling, assistance and advocacy relating to Medicare, Medicaid, Medicare supplements, Medicare Advantage, long-term care and other related health coverage plans for Medicare beneficiaries, their representatives, or persons soon to be eligible for Medicare. Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) is a Medicare/Medicaid fraud, abuse and waste-reduction program to help older Oklahomans and their caregivers learn how to protect themselves from health care fraud.
- Oklahoma Department of Commerce ((1-877-794-6552 toll-free))
- The Rx for Oklahoma prescription assistance program helps low-income older and disabled residents pay for their prescription medications. This may include help paying drug plan premiums and other drug costs.
- NeedyMeds (1-800-503-6897 toll-free)
- NeedyMeds is a 501(c)(3) national non-profit that connects people to programs that will help them afford their medications and other healthcare costs.
- Oklahoma Health Care Authority (405-522-7300)
- Advantage Waiver programs include adult day health, home-delivered meals, skilled nursing, case management, therapy and specialized medical equipment and supplies. Money Follows the Person is a federal program designed to transition individuals with disabilities and long-term illnesses from the institution back into their homes in the community. PACE helps adults with long-term care needs live as freely as possible through low- cost but quality health care services. SoonerCare is Oklahoma’s Medicaid health coverage program that helps pay some or all medical bills for many Oklahomans who cannot afford them.
- Medicare Nursing Home Compare
- Nursing Home Compare has detailed information about every Medicare- and Medicaid-certified nursing home in the country.
Home- and Community-Based Resources
- Oklahoma Caregiving Coalition (405-271-2710)
- The coalition’s mission is to provide services designed to improve the supports and experiences over the lifespan of caregivers through education, advocacy and access to resources.
- SoonerSUCCESS Respite Program ((405-271-5700 ext. 47801 | firstname.lastname@example.org))
- Respite services can provide a much-needed temporary break from the often exhausting challenges faced by the family caregivers. Respite vouchers let caregivers hire another person to temporarily care for their loved ones.
- Oklahoma State Cooperative Extension (405-744-5398)
- Oklahoma State Cooperative Extension provides information, caregiving classes and resources to help people age well.
- AARP Benefits Quick Link
- Find public benefits that can help you pay for food, medicine, health care, utilities and more by using AARP Foundation Benefits QuickLINK tools.
- Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma, Inc. (LASO) (405-557-0020)
- LASO is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization that provides civil legal assistance to seniors, their family caregivers and low-income persons throughout Oklahoma.
- Supporting Caregivers in the Workplace
- AARP offers valuable resources to help employers create a caregiver-friendly workplace.
- Oklahoma Transit Association (405-850-9571 | email@example.com)
- The Oklahoma Transit Association is composed of 34 urban, small urban, suburban, rural and tribal transit agencies in the state that share the common priority of providing and improving mobility and access for all Oklahomans.
Specific Audience Resources
- AARP Caregiving Guides
- Oklahoma VA Health Care System Caregiving Support (1-855-260-3274 toll-free)
- The VA offers a number of services for veterans and their caregivers. Whether you and the veteran you care for could use additional help at home or you just need someone to talk to, contact the VA to learn more.
Care for Caregivers
- Community Connections
- AARP Community Connections is a new website that offers steps to get or give help. You can organize online mutual aid groups to stay connected, share ideas and support those in need.
- Create the Good
- Create the Good connects people with volunteer opportunities and project ideas to share life experiences, skills and passions in the community.
AARP Resources for Family Caregivers
- AARP Family Caregiving Website (en español: aarp.org/cuidar)
- AARP Family Caregiving Resource Line (877-333-5885 toll-free, en español: 888-971-2013 toll-free)
- AARP Family Caregivers Facebook Group
- Community Resource Finder
- I Heart Caregivers
- AARP Online Caregiving Community
- Join our community and connect with other caregivers like you.
- AARP HomeFit Guide
- National Resources for Family Caregivers