More than 524,000 Oklahomans care for older parents, spouses and other loved ones so they can live independently in their homes and communities. These unpaid family caregivers provide 488 million hours of care valued at a staggering six billion dollars annually, according to AARP Oklahoma, the nonprofit and nonpartisan advocacy organization for Americans 50 and older.
Request Complimentary AARP Oklahoma Family Caregiver Kits
Free AARP Oklahoma Family Caregiver Resource Kits are now available to all Oklahomans. The AARP Oklahoma Caregiver Resource Kits include;
- Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families-developed to help make the role of family caregiving more manageable
- Medicare Guide– provides a framework of how Medicare works and how caregivers and those in their care can make informed health coverage decisions.
- HomeFit- created to help people stay in the homes they love by turning where they live into a “lifelong home,” suitable for themselves and anyone in their household.
- Oklahoma and Northeastern Oklahoma Caregiver Resource Guides- help you find the services and supports you need throughout your caregiving journey.
To receive a free Caregiver Resource Kit, call 1-866-295-7277 or email email@example.com.
AARP Oklahoma & AARP Northeastern Oklahoma Caregiver Resource Guides
With many organizations offering different types of help and services, it can be a challenge to sort out the specific type of help or services best suited for your needs. We developed the 288803 NE OK Caregivers Resource Guide_links_ and 544801 Care NE OK Caregivers Resource Guide HiRes with you, the caregiver, in mind as a starting point to help you find the services and supports you need throughout your caregiving journey.
We hope these guides can assist you in the following ways;
- Help you get the type of assistance you need.
- Help you connect with others.
- Help take care of yourself.
AARP Prepare to Care Guide
The prepare-to-care-guide is available to assist in the creation of a caregiving plan. Caregiving may be one of the most important roles you will ever take on in your life. You may have become a caregiver suddenly or perhaps your role has evolved over time.
No matter where you are in the continuum of caregiving — starting to plan, helping to coordinate a big move, or take care of a family member in your home — having resources at your fingertips will make the process easier.
AARP’s Medicare Guide for Family Members
medicare-guide-for-family-caregivers provides a framework of how Medicare works and how caregivers and those in their care can make informed health coverage decisions.
AARP HomeFit Guide
AARP's HomeFit Guide was created to help people stay in the homes they love by turning where
they live into a "lifelong home," suitable for themselves and anyone in their household.
The guide offers solutions that range from simple do-it-yourself fixes to improvements that are more involved and require skilled expertise but are well worth the expense.
Employer Guide to Digital Tools for Caregivers
To help HR and benefits leaders support employees who are family caregivers, AARP and Northeast Business Group on Health (NEBGH) offer the “ Digital Tools and Solutions for Caregivers: An Employer’s Guide”.
The CARE Act
The CARE (Caregiver Advise, Record, Enable) Act helps family caregivers when their loved ones go into the hospital and as they transition home. AARP Oklahoma successfully worked with legislators to become the first in the nation to pass the CARE (Caregivers Advise Record Enable) Act which gives family caregivers new rights and better support.
The CARE Act requires hospitals to:
- Provide your loved one the opportunity to designate a family caregiver.
- Inform you when your loved one is to be discharged to another facility or back home; and
- Consult with you on the medical tasks you will need to perform at home.
Print your 200916 OK CARE Act wallet cards_FINAL_HiRes and place them in your and your loved one’s wallets. That way, you’ll both have important information about this new law available when you need it most.
Faces of Caregiving
AARP member Michelle Mercer
Faces of Caregiving features Oklahoma caregivers sharing their stories.