Cars have changed. So have traffic rules, driving conditions, and the roads you travel every day.
Some drivers age 50+ have never looked back since they got their first driver’s license, but even the most experienced drivers can benefit from brushing up on their driving skills.
By taking a driver safety course you’ll learn the current rules of the road, defensive driving techniques, and how to operate your vehicle more safely in today’s increasingly challenging driving environment. You’ll learn how you can manage and accommodate common age-related changes in vision, hearing and reaction time.
AARP’s four-hour driver safety class is taught by trained AARP volunteers. There are no tests.
The cost is $15 for members and $20 for non-members. The course is open to people of all ages. Those who complete the course are eligible for a discount on their auto insurance premiums of at least five percent. (The discount varies by company.) You could also receive a three-point reduction on your driver’s license.
Pre-registration is required. For help with locating a class in your area, call toll-free 877-846-3299. A online class locator can also be found here.
Here are upcoming driver safety classes, start times, and the number to call to register.
- August 23, Trinity Lutheran Church, Bismarck, 12:30 p.m., 701-223-3560
- Sept. 1, Altru Professional Center, Grand Forks, 9 a.m., 701-780-5939
- Sept. 5, Senior Center, Grand Forks, 10 a.m., 701-772-7245
- Sept. 11, Volunteer Center, Devils Lake, 1 p.m., 701-662-6767
- Sept. 11, CHI St. Alexius, Bismarck, 8:30 a.m., 701-530-7755
- Sept. 12, Ed Clapp Senior Center, Fargo, 12:30 p.m., 701-298-3976
- Sept. 20, First Community Credit Union, Jamestown, 12:30 p.m., 701-253-5121
- Sept. 26, Lamplighter Senior Center, Garrison, 1 p.m., 701-463-2254
- Oct. 3, Eagles Club, Harvey, 10 a.m., 701-324-4308
- Oct. 3, Senior Center, Grand Forks, 10 a.m., 701-772-7245
- Oct. 9, Senior Center, Bismarck, 10 a.m., 701-223-4090
- Oct. 10, Ed Clapp Senior Center, Fargo, 12:30 p.m., 701-298-3976
- Oct. 30, Mandan Golden Age, Mandan, 9 a.m., 701-663-6528
- Nov. 6, CHI St. Alexius, Bismarck, 8:30 a.m., 701-530-7755
- Nov. 7, Eagles Club, Harvey, 10 a.m., 701-324-4308
- Nov. 7, Senior Center, Grand Forks, 10 a.m., 701-772-7245
- Nov. 8, CHI Riverview Place, Fargo, 1 p.m., 701-237-4700
- Nov. 14, Ed Clapp Senior Center, Fargo, 12:30 p.m., 701-298-3976
- Nov. 17, Altru Professional Center, Grand Forks, 9 a.m., 701-780-5939
- Dec. 5, Senior Center, Grand Forks, 10 a.m., 701-772-7245
- Dec. 12, Ed Clapp Senior Center, Fargo, 12:30 p.m., 701-298-3976
AARP offers the safety course online as well, where you can take it at your own pace in the convenience of your home. The fee is $17.95 for members and $21.95 for non-members. Go here for information on the online course.
We are encouraging AARP members in North Dakota to sign up to receive email from AARP North Dakota about upcoming events and other news. Go to http://www.aarp.org/yes2emailND. If you don’t already have an account on the AARP website, you’ll have to create one (by entering a user name and password) before you can opt in to receive our email.
You’ll receive emails about upcoming events such as lunch and learns, Movies for Grownups, and free document shredding. We’ll also periodically send you an email with other news from AARP North Dakota, such as volunteer opportunities, efforts to stop utility rate increases, and our advocacy work on behalf of North Dakotans 50 and older.
So, please opt in to receive our emails and be among the first to know about our upcoming events in your area.
[Photo courtesy of CoreBurn/Flickr]