home and community-based services

Carer and senior woman with healthy food at home
The well-publicized coronavirus (COVID-19) concerns with long-term care facilities have highlighted how individuals ages 65 and older and many individuals with disabilities are not only at higher risk of developing severe health complications from the virus,[1] they are also less able to physically distance themselves. That is because many, whether they live in a skilled nursing facility or not, rely on help from others to carry out tasks of daily living, such as bathing, dressing, or eating.
60 Sec With SD Governor Candidates
AARP SD sat down with this year’s candidates for South Dakota Governor to ask about the issues most important to our members and communities including transportation, telehealth, and community services. Watch how they responded below, so you can cast an educated vote this November.
voter engagement art 2018
With over 87,000 members in the state of Wyoming, AARP’s membership makes up roughly one-third of registered voters in the Cowboy State. As the voice of voters age 50 and over, AARP plays an important role in educating and informing one of the most consistent voting demographic in the state and nation. According to the US Census, 90.5 percent of all registered voters age 50 and over in the US participated in the 2016 election and 75.2 percent of voters participated in the 2014 midterm election. In Wyoming those numbers are slightly lower, but remain impressive with 76 percent of voters age 60 and over voting in the 2016 election.
Ed Canfield
AARP is proud to announce our fourth annual bipartisan class of Capitol Caregivers, state leaders who fought to increase support for family caregivers and their loved ones, said Nancy LeaMond, AARP Executive Vice President.
Senior man with caregiver shopping
During the most recent session of the Indiana General Assembly, AARP Indiana worked with the administration and key stakeholders on House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1493, which directs Indiana’s Division of Aging to develop a plan to expand the state's home and community-based services (HCBS) for older Hoosiers and people with disabilities.
(Ridgeland, MS) – Mississippi ranks 48 th overall when it comes to meeting the long-term care needs of older residents and people with disabilities, and AARP warns much more must be done, at an accelerated pace, to meet changing demographic demands.  Despite the ranking, Mississippi has seen growth in key areas. Those areas are:
Assisting a senior man with using his walking frame
ALBANY, N.Y. – AARP New York State Director Beth Finkel issued the following statement in response to the addition of about $7 million for non-Medicaid in-home services for the elderly in the New York State Senate and Assembly one-house 2017-18 state budget proposals:
NYS Capitol steps 11-16
Strong Proposals to Fight ID Theft, Elder financial Exploitation, but Little Help for Middle Class to Save for Retirement, Care for Older Loved Ones
Helper Serving Senior Woman With Meal In Care Home
AARP New York is urging legislators to boost the 2017-18 state budget for non-Medicaid services that help older New Yorkers age safely at home. The goal is to provide transportation, home-delivered meals, adult day care and other services for people who are eligible for, but are not yet receiving, home- and community-based services.
Home healthcare nurse checks patient's blood pressure
Utah lags behind 40 states and the District of Columbia in using Medicaid funds to help older adults and those with physical disabilities continue to live independently. Only 23 percent of Medicaid dollars earmarked for long-term care for this population in Utah is allocated to home- and community-based services such as home-delivered meals, transportation to doctors’ appointments and respite for family caregivers. The other 77 percent pays for nursing homes.
Search AARP States