In an effort to help protect Bellingham area consumers from emerging scams, AARP has joined forces with the Bellingham Police Department, the Northwest Regional Council, the Whatcoma County Asset Building Coalition, the State Attorney General's Office, BECU, and Nomorobo to launch "Tip-offs to Rip-offs."
As part of that work, the call blocking service Nomorobo is providing ongoing access to real-time reports of the latest scam calls making the rounds in Bellingham. The most recent "top-five" roll call of robocall scams is listed below, including actual recordings of each type of call. Take a moment to listen to the calls to better familiarize yourself with each specific pitch and how they sound. Be sure to visit this page often, as we'll be updating the list regularly.
When you receive these calls on your own phone line, be sure to hang up! You can also report the call to the Federal Trade Commission online, or by calling 1-877-FTC-HELP. Please also share this information with your friends and family. The better we’re all able to recognize a scam pitch before we're in the con-artist's sights, the better we’ll be able to protect ourselves and our money.
TOP FIVE ROBOCALL SCAMS IN BELLINGHAM, WA
Last updated on April 11, 2022*
Click on each call type below to hear the full recording, and be sure to visit this page often as we'll be regularly updating the list.
- Publisher's Clearing House Winner (Just hit the #1 spot!)
- "Back Blue Lives PAC" Charity Fundraiser
- Real Estate / Home Buyer (New Call Alert!)
- Computer Tech Support
- Vacation Offer (New Call Alert!)
*Information and audio files provided by Nomorobo
Additional Consumer Protection Resources
- AARP Speakers Bureau: Trained volunteer speakers are available to give free presentations on a wide range of topics. Visit us online for more information and to schedule a speaker.
- AARP Fraud Watch Network: A free resource for people of all ages. Consumers can sign up for “Watchdog Alert” emails, or call 877-908-3360 to report scams or get help from trained volunteers in the event someone falls victim to scammers’ tactics.
- Washington State Attorney General's Office: The State Attorney General’s Office safeguards consumers from fraud and unfair business practices. Consumers may report any unfair or deceptive business practices by filing a complaint online or by calling 800-551-4636.
- Nomorobo: A cloud-based service created by Telephone Science Corp that blocks robocalls, telemarketers, spam texts, and phone scammers from calling your phone.
- Bellingham Police Department: Visit online, or call 360-778-8800
- Whatcom County Sheriff's Department: Visit online, or call 360-778-6600
- Northwest Regional Council: As an association of county governments, the Northwest Regional Council (NWRC) has been serving people of Island, San Juan, Skagit, and Whatcom Counties since 1971.
- Whatcom Asset Building Coalition: The Whatcom Asset Building Coalition (WABC) is a community collaboration supporting financial self-sufficiency through education and advocacy.