In an effort to help protect Vancouver and Portland area consumers from emerging scams, AARP has joined forces with the State Attorney General's Office, BECU, Nomorobo and other local partners to launch "Tip-offs to Rip-offs."
As part of that work, the call blocking service Nomorobo is providing ongoing access to real-time reports of the latest scam calls making the rounds in the Vancouver and Portland areas. The most recent "top-five" roll call of robocall scams is listed below, including actual recordings of each type of call. Take a moment to listen to the calls to better familiarize yourself with each specific pitch and how they sound. Be sure to visit this page often, as we'll be updating the list regularly.
When you receive these calls on your own phone line, be sure to hang up! You can also report the call to the Federal Trade Commission online, or by calling 1-877-FTC-HELP. Please also share this information with your friends and family. The better we’re all able to recognize a scam pitch before we're in the con-artist's sights, the better we’ll be able to protect ourselves and our money.
TOP FIVE ROBOCALL SCAMS IN THE VANCVOUER/PORTLAND AREAS
Last updated on May 24, 2022*
Click on each call type below to hear the full recording, and be sure to visit this page often as we'll be regularly updating the list.
- Real Estate / Home Buyer
- Mortgage Refinance (New Call Alert!)
- Publisher's Clearing House Winner
- "Back Blue Lives PAC" Charity Fundraiser
- Computer Tech Support
*Information and audio files provided by Nomorobo
Additional Consumer Protection Resources
- AARP Speakers Bureau: Trained volunteer speakers are available to give free presentations on a wide range of topics. Visit us online for more information and to schedule a speaker.
- AARP Fraud Watch Network: A free resource for people of all ages. Consumers can sign up for “Watchdog Alert” emails, or call 877-908-3360 to report scams or get help from trained volunteers in the event someone falls victim to scammers’ tactics.
- Washington State Attorney General's Office: The State Attorney General’s Office safeguards consumers from fraud and unfair business practices. Consumers may report any unfair or deceptive business practices by filing a complaint online or by calling 800-551-4636.
- Nomorobo: A cloud-based service created by Telephone Science Corp that blocks robocalls, telemarketers, spam texts, and phone scammers from calling your phone.