AARP AARP States Maryland Home & Family

Do You Need Help to Pay Your Utility Bill?

Utility Bill Money Picture


If you are on a fixed income,  still working, currently unemployed or underemployed, you may be eligible for energy assistance.

Maryland's Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP) provides bill assistance to low-income households throughout the state to make energy costs more affordable and to help with the prevention of loss and the restoration of home energy service.

Energy assistance will not reduce the amount of any other public assistance benefits you receive, such as TCA or Food Stamps. Nor will it reduce Social Security benefits.

NOTE: If you are behind in your utility bills, you should always contact your utility. The utility may be able to refer you to the OHEP programs or may be willing to set up a payment installment plan.

If you're having trouble, don't wait to reach out. See if you qualify for energy assistance by visiting .

Source: Maryland Department of Human Services

About AARP Maryland
Contact information and more from your state office. Learn what we are doing to champion social change and help you live your best life.