Brenda Price, a lifelong Detroiter and veteran non-profit organization leader, has been appointed AARP Michigan Associate State Director for Community Outreach in Metro Detroit.
Price comes to AARP from the Alliance for the Great Lakes, where she was volunteer and education director.
“Brenda Price brings to AARP a wealth of experience in community engagement and organizing, education and leadership, and work in the non-profit, private and public sectors,” said Paula D. Cunningham, State Director of AARP Michigan. “She hits the ground running in Metro Detroit. We are fortunate to have her on our team.”
Price said her deep roots in the community give her understanding of issues affecting Metro Detroit, especially older adults.
“As a connector of people, resources, and opportunities, I want to further engage our AARP members in Detroit and introduce others to all that AARP has to offer,” Price said. “AARP is a catalyst for change, fostering everyday innovations in aging while disrupting what aging is expected to be. I am a disrupter, too, and welcome being part of AARP in Michigan.”
As AARP Michigan Associate State Director, Price will oversee education and outreach programs that the organization has offered in the Metro Detroit community over the years. These include programs, services and events such as: financial security, fraud prevention and caregiving workshops; voter engagement; veterans’ events; age-friendly community work; the holiday toy drive, and the annual celebration of Grandparents Day.
“I also plan to work with our outstanding team of volunteers to take AARP in new and exciting directions in the years to come,” she said.
Prior to her service at the Alliance for the Great Lakes, Price’s career path includes:
• Democratic National Committee, regional organizer and presidential campaign organizer;
• Marygrove College, Urban Fellow and Director, Office of Urban Leadership;
• John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, program director;
• Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan, senior program office, director African American Legacy Program;
• Blue Cross Blue Shield Michigan, community and government affairs liaison;
• Executive Assistant to the Wayne County Executive;
• Substitute teacher, Detroit Public Schools.