AARP Michigan is working to empower you in the fight against fraud.
Every 2 seconds, a con artist steals someone’s identity. In the last year alone, Americans lost $16 billion of their hard-earned dollars to fraud, identity theft and scams. Every year, thousands of Americans are impacted by fraud and scams – it's time to fight back and beat con artists at their own game.
Fraud Watch Network workshops
We'll explain what identity theft is, help you avoid becoming a victim, and provide information on how to create a recovery plan if you are a victim. These events are free; pre-registration is required.
- June 6 - East Lansing Public Library, East Lansing. Reserve your seat.
- June 12 - IM Sports East at Michigan State University, East Lansing. Save your space.
- August 13 - Jackson District Library, Carnegie Branch, Jackson. RSVP here.
Operation Stop Scams: Shred Truck Events
Bring your old documents containing personal information to our mobile shredding truck for free disposal. Please be sure to bring paper products only!
- June 13 - Delta Township District Library. 5130 Davenport Drive, Lansing. 1:00 to 3:00 pm.
- June 16 - Zion Lutheran Church. 143 Albany Street, Ferndale. 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
- June 23 - Martin Luther King High School. 3200 E. Lafayette Street, Detroit. 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
- June 23 - Booker T. Dozier Recreation Center. 2025 Middlebelt Road, Inkster. 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
- July 28 - Second Ebenezer Church. 14601 Dequindre Road, Detroit. 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
- August 25 - Traverse City Senior Center, 801 East Front Street, Traverse City. 9:00 am to 12:00 pm. Please check back to RSVP.
Can’t make it to one of our events? Check out these tools and resources.
- Sign up for the AARP Fraud Watch Network and get the latest breaking scam alerts delivered right to your inbox.
- Subscribe and listen to AARP’s new weekly podcast The Perfect Scam, which profiles America’s biggest scam stories and introduces listeners to compelling personal stories from scam victims and their families.
- Check out our Scam-Tracking Map. Search the map to learn more about scams reported by people just like you and tell others when you’ve spotted a scam.
- Are you a victim of a scam? Call 877-908-3360 to share your story and receive assistance from our call center.
- Find additional resources and information about how to protect yourself and your family here.
Be sure to like us on Facebook for information and events taking place in your community.