Would you like to help struggling older adults put healthy food on their tables? Would you like to develop a set of skills that will benefit you while working for a world-class nonprofit?
Then consider a year-long opportunity as an AARP Foundation AmeriCorps VISTA in partnership with the New York City Coalition Against Hunger. This position will be stationed at the AARP Nebraska state office in Lincoln.
- Convene community leaders and members to identify SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) barriers and develop a comprehensive plan to improve access in local communities.
- Recruit, manage, and train community volunteers to conduct information sharing and to develop SNAP program materials and application assistance materials along with related trainings for community-based organizations.
- Improve access to nutritious food options by enhancing awareness of the availability to use SNAP of benefits at farmers’ markets; support local, community gardening and agriculture efforts; and provide nutrition education information and opportunities for low-income community members.
- This is a one year, full-time position beginning August 2, 2014.
- Ability to participate in evening and weekend events is expected.
- Because AmeriCorps VISTA service requires a full immersion in the project and community, both outside full and part-time employment are strictly prohibited - no exceptions.
- AmeriCorps VISTA members must also adhere to AmeriCorps policies regarding political and religious activities as described in the guidebook. For more information, please review the AmeriCorps VISTA Terms, Conditions and Benefits information available here - http://bit.ly/1dAs2FM.
- $928 Monthly Living Allowance, paid biweekly in the state of Nebraska
- Segal Education Award ($5,645) or End-of-Service stipend ($1,500)
- Health benefits*
- Opportunity to forbear student loans while in service
- Relocation assistance (if applicable)
- Childcare assistance (if applicable)
- Optional life insurance
- One year non-competitive status for federal government positions
- A network of over 180,000 AmeriCorps VISTA members and alums
- You are responsible for finding your own housing. No housing allowance will be provided.
*Health benefits provided by participating in the AmeriCorps VISTA program currently do not meet the individual mandate of the Affordable Care Act. If an AmeriCorps VISTA participant does not enroll in a separate program to meet this mandate, they may be assessed a penalty payment.
**Position will require some travel in Nebraska. Please provide a statement on whether or not you are available to travel to communities within Nebraska, and if you have transportation available to travel within Nebraska (mileage would be reimbursed).
About Anti-Hunger and Opportunity Corps:
The Anti-Hunger and Opportunity Corps (AHOC) is an AmeriCorps VISTA project, sponsored by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service, the Corporation for National and Community Service, and the Wal-Mart Foundation, and managed by the New York City Coalition Against Hunger. The VISTA members work in both rural and urban areas across the country as part of a public-private partnership to improve access to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly Food Stamps) for Americans in need.
Applications are due by Tuesday, May 6. Position starts August 2, 2014. Apply now!
Please send a resume and cover letter to the contact Connie Benjamin, CSBenjamin@aarp.org. Applicants should include “Americorps VISTA Position” in the subject line. For more information, please contact Connie Benjamin at 402-323-5421 or CSBenjamin@aarp.org.
The VISTA project is part of the National Anti-Hunger and Opportunity Corps and represents a joint partnership between AARP Foundation, and our sponsoring agency, the New York City Coalition Against Hunger. AARP Foundation VISTA members will be stationed at the AARP Nebraska Office in Lincoln.
Photo credit: istockphoto/DragonImages