|AARP Vermont is now accepting applications for the 2014 Community Action Sponsorship Program -- a program to provide modest grant funds and technical support to community groups or individuals. The initiative is part of the Age Friendly Communities initiative aimed at preparing Newport for the rapidly aging demographic shift - particularly in the areas of housing, mobility and community engagement. |
The Community Action Sponsorships will provide financial and other support to groups within Newport that will advocate for improvements in the following areas:
- Affordable housing options for older residents
- Delivery of services to help older residents age in the setting of their choice
- Implementation of Complete Streets: Pedestrian & Bike infrastructure (sidewalks, amenities for walkers and bikers, public art, safe street crossings, bike lanes, navigation, etc.)
- Public transit
- Fostering intergenerational and multi-cultural connection
- Financial security for low income older residents
- Socialization and fostering community connection for older residents
- Education and awareness about LGBTQ elders
- Community accessibility for residents with disabilities
These sponsorships are intended to inspire and support grassroots groups that have a vision for their neighborhood or the city and how it can be improved to the meet the needs of all residents. The sponsorship is open to grassroots groups and small non-profits in Newport and should represent a desire to make change through local level activism and advocacy.
The deadline for applications is December 31, 2013. Up to four groups will be selected for grants ranging from $500-$2,000. Grants will be one-time funding for a 12-month period and groups who are awarded sponsorships will receive technical assistance and training from AARP staff.
AARP is partnering with Newport City Renaissance Corp. and executive director Trish Sears on the effort. Applications and an RFP are available from Kelly Stoddard Poor at 951-1313 or email@example.com.
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan membership organization with 138,000 members in Vermont and 40 million members nationally. Through a wide array of special benefits, services, and information resources, we help our members make important choices, reach their goals and dreams, and make the most of life after 50.