Refresh your Driving Skills with the AARP Smart Driver Course
About the AARP Smart Driver Course
The AARP Smart Driver course is geared towards drivers, age 50 and over (though any driver may attend). It is not a behind-the-wheel course but a classroom seminar with a good deal of interaction between the participants. There is no pass-fail. During the course, you will learn:
- How to minimize dangerous blind spots
- How to maintain a proper following distance
- Safe ways to merge with traffic, change lanes and make turns at busy intersections
- Proper use of seat belts, air-bags, and getting your best seating position for driving
- New technologies to assist in accident prevention like anti-lock brakes, skid control, blind-spot monitoring, collision avoidance and others
- Effects of medications and distractions on driving, and how to manage them
- New laws and challenges of driving in Washington, DC like bicycle lanes, scooters, traffic circles, and road changes
Interested in attending a class?
- By completing the course, you may qualify for a reduction in auto insurance—check with your insurance company about their policy.
- The fee for the course is $15 for AARP members and $20 for non-members. Payment must be by check or cash. Credit cards cannot be accepted. (Note: Instructors are unpaid volunteers).
- Bring your AARP card, your Driver’s License, and payment for the course, and plan to arrive before the start time to check in for the course.
2019 Class Schedule in the District
AARP Smart Driver at Hattie Holmes Senior Center, 324 Kennedy St NW, Washington, DC 20011
Date: Tuesday, October 29 & Wednesday, October 30, 1-4pm each day
Parking: A free parking voucher will be provided for all who complete the course.
Register: To register, please call Ms. Teresa Moore at 202-291-6170. The AARP Driver Safety Instructor is Phillip J. Hammond.
AARP Smart Driver at Lamond Recreation Center, 20 Tuckerman Street NE, Washington, DC 20011
Date: Wednesday, December 4, 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
Register: To register, please call Ann McHenry at 202 291-7547 or 202 576-9541.
AARP Smart Driver at National Rehabilitation Hospital/Medstar Washington Hospital Center, Telecenter and Teleconference Room, Main Floor, 102 Irving Street NW, Washington DC 20010
Date: Monday, November 11, 9am – 4pm
Parking: A free parking voucher will be provided for all who complete the course. Parking is in the Blue Lot next door to the National Rehabilitation Hospital.
Register: To register or ask questions, please contact AARP Driver Safety Instructor Scott Hunt at Shunt@nashandhunt.com or 202-431-5107.
AARP Smart Driver at Sibley Center for Rehabilitative Medicine / Renaissance Building, Meeting Room 2 (1st floor), 5275 Loughboro Road, Washington, DC 20016
- Friday, October 25, 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Friday, November 22, 9:30am - 4:30pm
Parking: A limited amount of parking is available in the lot between Sibley Hospital and the Grand Oaks building. Additional parking is available in the lot on the upper (East) side of the Sibley campus. The parking fee is $12 for the day. Sibley Senior Association Members qualify for a 50% discount.
Register: To register or ask questions call Driving Instructor Joe Ryan at (202) 362-0704 or e-mail email@example.com
To find additional locations and dates of the AARP Smart Driver courses, visit www.aarp.org/drive and click on LOCATE, or call 1-800-846-3299.