Narrow hallways, slippery floors and round door knobs are just a few of the obstacles people encounter as they get older.
AARP Louisiana will conduct a free Home Fit workshop to guide participants in taking a fresh look at their current homes to see if it matches their needs now and in the future.
One way to make a home livable for everyone is to incorporate design principles and features – often called universal design.
Universal design is about creating a home that is adaptable, flexible, safe and easy-to-use for all residents and visitors, regardless of age, size or ability.
Things to consider when determining if your home will meet your future needs:
• At least one step-free entrance into the home
• A bedroom, full bath and kitchen on the main level
• Wide doorways and hallways
• Lever door and faucet handles
• Multi-height kitchen countertops that can be used while standing or seated
• Kitchen and bathroom cabinets and shelves that are easy to reach
• A bathtub or shower with a non-slip bottom floor
• Blocking in the bathroom walls so grab bars can be added as needed
• Well-lit hallways and stairways
• Secure handrails on both side of stairways
WHAT: AARP Home Fit Workshop
WHEN: Saturday, August 24th
WHERE: AARP Community Resource Center
3502 S. Carrollton Avenue (across from Five Happiness)
REGISTER: Seating is limited for this free workshop. Please call 504-485-2162.