AARP Hawai‘i is holding free seminars statewide in September to teach you how to fight back against Hawai‘i’s Top Frauds.
“These days we get so many fraudulent emails, calls and even text messages that’s it’s hard to know if we should even answer the phone,” said Jackie Boland, AARP Hawai‘i Outreach Director. “We are putting on the “Hawai‘i’s Top Frauds & How to Fight Back” seminars so that people will know how to recognize the top reported frauds in the state and learn how to protect themselves and their families from scammers.”
Susan Arthur, the director of the FINRA Investor Education Foundation, is the featured speaker. Arthur is a national expert on preventing fraud and travels around the country to educate people on how to keep scammers from taking your money. Local law enforcement officials who investigate and prosecute fraud will also speak.
The seminars are free, but you must preregister by calling 1-877-926-8300 or online at https://aarp.cvent.com/HIFraud9-19. You don’t have to be an AARP member to attend and all ages are welcome. You don’t have to be of AARP membership age. Refreshments will be provided.
The seminars will be held in:
· Lihue on Sunday, Sept. 8 at the Kauai War Memorial Convention Hall from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
· Wailuku on Monday, Sept. 9 at the Kahili Golf Course from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
· Waipahu on Tuesday, Sept. 10 at the Hawaii Okinawan Center from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
· Kaneohe on Wednesday, Sept. 11 at Hale Akoakoa Rooms 101 and 02 at Windward Community College from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· Hilo on Thursday, Sept. 12 at Aunty Sally Kaleohano’s Luau Hale from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
· Makiki on Saturday, Sept. 14 at the Catholic Charities Hawaii Community Hall on Keeaumoku Street from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.