AARP Eye Center
On Tuesday, March 22, a dangerous EF3 tornado struck parts of New Orleans, killing at least one person, heavily damaging more than 12,000 homes and structures, and knocking out power to thousands.
In the aftermath of a storm, con-artists use this as an opportunity to take advantage of victims. Here are a 10 important tips from the National Association of State Contractors Licensing Agencies to help save you from substantial financial and emotional loss:
1. Plan your project.
2. Get 2-3 estimates.
3. Verify the contractor's license.
4. Check at least 3 references.
5. Require a written contract.
6. Don't make a large down payment.
7. Make payments as work is completed.
8. Monitor the job in progress.
9. Don't make the final payment until the job is completed.
10. Keep all paperwork related to your job.
In the video below, Brad Hassert, Compliance Director for the Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors, gives tips and tools to help you rebuild safely after a natural disaster.