Dear Veterans: You have done so much to serve us, let us serve you!
AARP Michigan will run a regular feature on this web page about programs, services and benefits available to veterans.
And while you’re here, check out the new AARP website on resources for Veterans: www.aarp.org/veterans
This entry in the Military Monday series will address:
Life Reimagined for Veterans
Transition from Military to Civilian Life is Difficult
A recent Prudential study, “Veterans Employment Challenges,” found two-thirds of veterans saying they experienced a difficult transition from military to civilian life. One of the greatest challenges veterans report in finding a job is explaining how their military skills translate to the civilian workforce. Nearly all said they believe they have the skills needed to land their ideal job but a majority of those surveyed expressed concerns about how to translate their skills to a civilian business environment.
AARP’s Life Reimagined Can Help Veterans of All Ages.
Following years of research, planning, and trial, AARP launched Life Reimagined in May of 2013. The purpose of Life Reimagined is to provide a personal guidance system to help adults of all ages to navigate transitions and live their lives to the fullest. The Life Reimagined experience – developed by AARP and some of the world’s leading experts in life coaching, counseling and guidance – has been designed to offer people an easy-to-use, step-by-step diagnostic tool to help them understand themselves, and clarify for themselves what they’re good at.
What Makes Life Reimagined Special?
Life Reimagined offers both online and offline a series of programs, experiences and resources to help anyone who seeks guidance in finding out “What’s next for me?”-- as well as assistance in navigating life’s transitions and the new technologies; and help for anyone who simply wants to explore new opportunities, whether they be related to work, health, pursuing a passion, or a relationship.
What Tools Does Life Reimagined Provide?
Life Reimagined is a partner that can be dialed up or back, allowing you to take small steps using resources available online and offline, ultimately helping map out what you are looking to do in your life.
- Personalized Dashboard: The more one interacts with the service, the more the information and tools are tailored to an individual.
- Ongoing Engagement: Life Reimagined is your partner, with multiple touch points online and offline – either through email or other notifications – to stay in contact and encourage small steps to keep you moving forward in your reimagine process.
Your Personal Handbook
Thousands of people are using Life Reimagined as their personal handbook for expanding their possibilities and navigating their next steps. The Life Reimagined online experience invites users into this network through an exclusive, customizable roadmap that helps people to understand where they are in their journey to achieve their goals and dreams, and to make decisions in planning their next steps.
Life Reimagined for Work
One of the biggest areas of opportunity for reimagining one’s life is their career – so we created Life Reimagined for Work as a major component of our program.
- Real Connections: Life Reimagined for Work gives inspiration and actionable tools and communities that make new opportunities possible.
- Education: Turn work experience into undergrad credit, find free courses on LearningAdvisor.com (created with Kaplan)
- Online networking: Join the Life Reimagined for Work Group on LinkedIn with over 20,000 members.
- Offline networking: Join one of the several Work Reimagined events taking place in communities across the country.
Other Major Components
www.lifereimagined.aarp.org/ It all starts here -- an interactive portal with step by step programs to help someone better understand what they want out of life and how to achieve it.
- In-person events and local meet-ups: Face-to-face opportunities to meet with experts and to participate in workshops for many Life Reimagined
- com: A reference website created with our partner Kaplan, with a focus on simple and accessible ways to continue education – from free seminars and certificate programs to full degrees.
- Life Reimagined Institute for Innovation (LRI): The foundation for our approach, bringing together the best minds, research and innovation to explore and discover new ways of helping people navigate the many transitions in life.