AARP AARP States Nebraska Finances 50+

Relax! AARP Tax-Aide Takes the Stress Out of Tax Time

Tax Help
©iStockphoto/Mathias Rosenthal

You don't have to sweat it out this tax season. If you are a Nebraska resident, AARP Tax-Aide can lend you or your loved one(s) a helping hand depending on where you live in the state.

A nationwide partnership between the AARP Foundation and the Internal Revenue Service, AARP Tax-Aide provides free tax counseling and preparation services from February 1 to April 15.

Trained volunteers at AARP Tax-Aide sites across Nebraska stand ready and eager to help low- to middle-income taxpayers, with special attention to Nebraskans age 60 and over, prepare and file their returns, and answer their tax questions.

“We encourage people to reduce their anxiety by seeking assistance from our team of knowledgeable and dedicated volunteers,” said Don Kotrc, Nebraska’s state coordinator for AARP Tax-Aide. In 2014, nearly 15,000 Nebraskans received assistance from AARP Tax-Aide volunteers.

AARP Tax-Aide volunteers also help taxpayers file for the state homestead exemption, the federal Earned Income Tax Credit and the state Earned Income Tax Credit.

The homestead exemption offers property tax relief to homeowners on limited incomes who are 65 or over or disabled. Kotrc added that both the federal and state earned income tax credits are refundable income tax credits for low-income wage earners. To be eligible, individuals must file a return.

AARP Tax-Aide sites are located in Omaha, Bellevue, LaVista, Lincoln, Gothenburg, Grand Island, Kearney, McCook, North Platte, Sidney, Lyman, Valentine and York. To find AARP Tax-aide sites near you, call our toll-free number, 1-888-687-2277 or check the locations here.

In order for AARP Tax-Aide to assist with your taxes, please bring the following, as applicable to your particular tax situation:

  • Copy of last year’s income tax returns (Federal & State)
  • W-2 forms from each employer
  • W-2G form if you have gambling income and any documentation on gambling losses
  • Form 1099-G for any unemployment compensation
  • SSA-1099 if you were paid Social Security benefits
  • All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends, as well as documentation (Brokerage statements, etc.) showing the original purchase price of your sold assets, and 1099-MISC for self-employment, etc.
  • 1099-R forms if you receive a pension or annuity
  • All forms indicating Federal or State income tax paid
  • Child care provider information (name, employer ID, Social Security number)
  • A list of itemized deductions that can be supported with receipts
  • Social Security cards for everyone to be listed on the tax return

This list may not include all forms that apply to your tax circumstances. Services are limited to residents of Nebraska. There are some limitations on returns that can be prepared. S ee “Tax Preparation Service” for details.

About AARP Nebraska
Contact information and more from your state office. Learn what we are doing to champion social change and help you live your best life.