AARP New Mexico is now accepting nominations for its 2020 AARP New Mexico Andrus Award for Community Service, which honors New Mexicans, age 50 plus, who are sharing their experience, talent, and skills to enrich the lives of their community members.
The Andrus Award for Community Service, which recognizes volunteers who go beyond everyday volunteering activities. It is to honor those who best embody Dr. Ethel Andrus’ spirit of reaching out to help others and embody her motto of “To Serve, Not to be Served”, the very core of AARP’s social mission.
“AARP New Mexico is excited to recognize New Mexicans who are using their life experience to make a difference in the lives around them,” said Beau Ballinger, AARP New Mexico Interim State Director.
A special selection committee, made up of AARP volunteers, staff and community partners, will evaluate how a nominee’s volunteer work has improved the community, supported AARP’s vision and mission, and inspired other volunteers. The award recipient will be announced in late fall.
AARP New Mexico Andrus Award for Community Service nominees must meet the following eligibility requirements:
· Nominee must be 50 years or older.
· The achievements, accomplishments, or service on which the nomination is based must have been performed on a volunteer basis, without pay. AmeriCorps VISTA and Senior Corps programs volunteers (Senior Companions, Foster Grandparents, RSVP, and Senior Demonstration Programs) are eligible.
· The achievements, accomplishments, or service on which the nomination is based must reflect AARP’s vision and purpose.
· The achievements, accomplishments, or service on which the nomination is based must be replicable and provide inspiration for others to volunteer.
· Couples or partners who perform service together are also eligible; however, teams are not eligible.
· This is not a posthumous award.
Nomination forms can be found and submitted at www.AARP.org/AndrusAward
Please contact Beth Velasquez, AARP New Mexico Associate State Director for Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 505-490-3174, for further information or to have a nomination form mailed to you. The application deadline is July 31, 2020.