While almost everyone that is familiar with AARP thinks of the discounts and products that AARP offers, not everyone is familiar with the meaningful, boots on the ground work we do right here in New Mexico. These efforts are at the heart of what AARP does.
In an effort to continue to introduce our 260,000 members to that work as well as our staff and volunteers, AARP New Mexico is launching a new e-newsletter. We’ll highlight some of our ongoing activities, issues and resources in the newsletter.
I am not sure if everyone knows our amazing State Office staff. They are beyond measure, with an incredible energy and dedication for our work in New Mexico, supporting our volunteers and the efforts of AARP. The staff partners with almost 120 active volunteers from around the state that work on a variety of topics.
Innovative work in 2019 has included:
· Presence and impact in the city of Santa Fe
· Expansion of our footprint on the Navajo Nation
· Fight Rx Greed with a focus in Las Cruces
· Livable Communities efforts in Albuquerque
· Caregiver Leave Act passage, enactment, and education statewide
· Grassroots volunteer led education across the state focused on Caregiving, Fraud, Falls Prevention, Wellness, Entertainment, and Engagement
· Support of Military & Veterans initiatives
· Strengthening our New Mexico Education Retiree partnership
The 2020 Legislative Session brings us an opportunity to see New Mexicans who do not have an avenue to save for retirement be able to voluntarily participate in a state led investment program.
Please check back here at aarp.org/nm for more information on New Mexico Saves as we get closer to the Session.
We thank you for being an AARP member, and we hope you find this information helpful and informational. Wishing you and yours a wonderful remainder of 2019.
Buffie Ann Saavedra
AARP New Mexico State Director