AARP District of Columbia asked, and artists 50-plus answered, submitting creations for the Beacon Celebration of the Arts contest.
AARP, in conjunction with the Beacon newspaper, sponsored the inaugural competition, open to nonprofessional area artists age 50 and over who live in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia.
More than 400 artists submitted over 900 pieces of art!
All winning works and honorable mentions will be on display for the public. Admission is free.
When: November 29 - December 19, 2018, Tuesday through Friday, Noon to 4pm
Where: Pepco Edison Place Gallery Exhibit,702 Eighth St. NW
But wait, there's more! Visit the gallery exhibit, snap a photo of yourself and share to Facebook (be sure to tag AARP DC) for a chance to win a dozen doughtnuts!
Thank you to all of the entrants who shared their original works of art with us.
A special congratulations to the The Beacon’s Celebration of the Arts winners from the District of Columbia!
Sculpture/Mixed Media Winners
- Lady in Glass - Victor Dyni - 3rd Place (View artwork)
- Ibu Sumari - Lorraine Arden - Honorable Mention (View artwork)
- Evening Light - Donna Battle - Honorable Mention (View artwork)
- Palouse Hills - Beth Altman - Honorable Mention (View artwork)
- The After Life -David Harris - Honorable Mention (View artwork)
- My Blackness Still Matters - Rita Alston - Honorable Mention (View poetry)
- Colin Couldn't Stand - Karen Curry - Honorable Mention (View poetry)
- Bridge of Peace - Margarita M. Dilone - Honorable Mention (View poetry)
For a full list of winners and honorable mentions visit: www.thebeaconnewspapers.com/celebration-of-the-arts