AARP Wisconsin is now seeking nominations for its 2017 AARP State Andrus Award for Community Service, which honors those individuals who are sharing their experience, talent, and skills to enrich the lives in their communities.
“Volunteerism is clearly a new way of looking at retirement for older Americans. Many are finding that they want to remain active and involved and that volunteerism fulfills this need and the desire to help others,” said Sam Wilson, AARP Wisconsin State Director. “Through this recognition, AARP encourages individuals to use their skills and assistance as a way to remain vital as well as make a difference in their community.”
This is AARP’s most prestigious award and only one individual will be honored for his/her achievements. In a competitive selection process, the AARP Wisconsin Executive Council will review nominations on a range of criteria, including positive impact on the lives of individuals age 50 or older, improvement of the community in or for which the work was performed, and serving as an inspiration to others to volunteer. An award recipient will be announced in early fall.
AARP Wisconsin Andrus Award for Community Service nominees must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Nominees must be 50 or older
- The achievements, accomplishments or service on which nominations are based must have been performed on a volunteer basis, without pay
- The achievements, accomplishments or service on which the nominations are based must reflect AARP's vision and mission
- Couples or partners who perform service together are eligible; however, teams are not
- The recipient must live in the awarding state
- This is not a retrospective award
Pictured above is Buzz Marshall of Livingston, who was selected as the 2016 award winner. He is shown with a cake that was created in his honor.
Please contact Jeannie Tucker at email@example.com 608.286.6300 for further information about this year's award.
Nominations are to be made online at http://bit.ly/2017AndrusAward.
The application deadline is June 2, 2017.