Team Better Block engages communities by planning and orchestrating short-term local events to temporarily improve the physical and economic environment on a specific city block. Through participatory workshops, the team helps the community generate ideas about how to build on their city’s assets to improve public space.
By using street furniture, outdoor seating, parklets, landscaping, pavement painting for bike lanes and crosswalks, and energizing public space with lively programming and local art, Team Better Block will utilize temporary changes in the built environment to initiate permanent enhancements in the quality of life in our community.
We want your input and help starting Tuesday, October 9! Residents, leaders, artists, planners, clergy, teachers, students and businesses are all invited to join to engage in making a better neighborhood at Blackburn Community Center. There are several ways you can volunteer starting as early as Tuesday, October 9 and leading up to the main event on Friday, October 12.
To learn more: WWW.TEAMBETTERBLOCK.COM/BLACKBURN
Link to register for a volunteer shift: Yes, I want to Volunteer at Team Better Block Blackburn!
- Tuesday, October 9Basketball Court Mural Prep and PaintingVolunteer anytime between 1 pm and 5 pm
- Wednesday, October 10Wayfinding Sign Prep, Pop-Up Basketball Kiosk, Seating, Planters & Public Art Prep Volunteer anytime noon to 6 pm
- Thursday, October 11Pop-up Market Painting & Seating, Planters & Public Art PrepVolunteer anytime 4 to 8 pm
- Friday, October 12Pop-up Market Set up, Colored Crosswalk & Games Setup Volunteer anytime 9 am to 3 pm
- Friday, October 12Better Block Day 3:00 pm - 8:00 pmBlackburn Community Center263 Carpenter St.Columbus, OH 43205Map It
Watch a video of what a similar effort produced in a park in Buffalo, NY.
As part of the AARP Livable Communities Initiative, Team Better Block will partner with AARP Ohio, Age Friendly Columbus, City of Columbus, The Ohio State University, and Franklin County along with local residents, stakeholders and volunteers to improve the quality of life for people of all ages at Blackburn Park.