AARP stands by its members and older adults 50+ as their wise friend and fierce defender. Working to ensure your money, health, and happiness live as long as you do, AARP hopes to be the friend in your corner for work, taxes, brain health, and more. At the same time, AARP diligently defends all the things that matter to you. Whether it is COVID-19, fraud, healthcare, nursing homes, or anything else, AARP is your advocate.
We want to know how our mission has personally helped you and your family. Because of this, we are offering you the chance to win one (1) of three (3) $500 gift cards by sharing your story of how AARP has been a wise friend and fierce defender. The Wise Friend & Fierce Defender Contest takes place between August 15, 2021 at 12:00 am ET and September 11, 2021 at 11:59 pm ET, consisting of a Grand Prize Contest.
The promotion is open to all legal residents of the fifty (50) United States/District of Columbia, who are at least 50 years old as of the date of entry, except officers, directors, and employees (and members of their household and immediate families, i.e., parents, children, spouse, siblings) of AARP (also referred to as “Administrator”), its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising/promotion agencies, and/or their affiliates, assigns or representatives (hereinafter referred to collectively as “Administrator & Others”), and all other persons or entities associated with the development, administration, promotion, execution of, supply to or printing of this Promotion.
No purchase or payment is necessary to enter or win. A purchase or payment will not increase your chances of winning.
How to Participate
There will be a total of three (3) prizes awarded to the selected winners. To enter the Prize Contest, tell us your personal story of how AARP has been a wise friend and fierce defender to you or your immediate family, i.e., parents, children, spouse, siblings). Submissions open August 15 at 12:00 am ET and close September 11 at 11:59 pm ET.
Completely fill out the Official Entry Form, including first name, last name, complete address, email, phone number here. Entrants are responsible for determining the appropriate beginning and ending times in their respective time zones. Upon submission of the completed Official Entry Form, each entrant will be entered into the Prize Contest. Only one (1) entry per individual.
Each Selected Winner will receive one or more Visa Gift Card(s) that have a combined total of $500. The approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of each prize is $500. If the actual retail value of the Prize differs from its stated ARV, the Selected Winner will not receive the difference in value.
Limit: Only one (1) prize per individual.
The winner will receive the Prize within 14 days of being confirmed as the winner.
Approximately at 5:00 pm ET on September 17, a winner will be selected by a panel of 3 judges, appointed by AARP. The winner will be selected from all entries received throughout the Promotion Period.
Judges will evaluate entrants based on these criteria:
- Descriptive: 50%
- Authentic: 30%
- Occurred within last 10 years: 20%.
In the event of a tie, tied entries will be re-judged based on the same criteria listed above and a Winner will be determined by Administrator in its sole discretion. Entrants agree to the Official Rules and to the decisions of the Judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects. Award of a prize to any winner will be subject to verification of that winner’s eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules.
The winner will be notified via email on or about September 24, 2021, using the email provided on the entry form. The winner must email firstname.lastname@example.org within two (2) days of notification to claim the prize. The return of any prize notification message or document as undeliverable will result in disqualification of the applicable winner, the forfeiture of his or her interest in the prize and the selection of a substitute winner with the next highest score.
Odds of Winning
The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received, and the Judge’s evaluation of said entries.
Participants need not be AARP members in order to enter and/or win the Prize Contest. Being an AARP member will not increase your chance or odds of winning.
Terms and Conditions Applicable to Grand Prize Recipient (“Prize Recipient”)
Prize Limit: An individual, including a member of his/her household, regardless of email address used, may only win one (1) Grand Prize throughout the Promotion Period. The Winner of the Grand Prize will receive the Grand Prize immediately after having been confirmed as a Winner. Prizes are not transferable or substitutable except by Administrator with one of equal or greater value. Administrator is not responsible for any Prize Recipient’s inability to utilize her/his prize. All federal, state and local taxes are solely the responsibility of the Prize Recipient. Additionally, at the sole discretion of the Administrator, disqualification, forfeiture and the selection of an alternate Winner of a Grand Prize may result from any of the following: (a) a potential Winner’s failure, upon request, to provide Administrator with satisfactory proof of age, identity, residency, and/or eligibility; (b) a potential Winner’s failure to accept or utilize the Grand Prize as provided herein; or (c) any other non-compliance, as determined by Administrator in its sole discretion, with the Official Rules.
6. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Administrator & Others are not responsible for interrupted or unavailable network server or other connections; for miscommunications; failed telephone, computer or electronic transmissions; for jumbled, scrambled or misdirected entries or transmissions; for phone, electrical, network, technology or computer hardware or software or program malfunctions, failures or difficulties; or any other errors, omissions, interruptions, or deletions of any kind, whether human, mechanical or electronic; or for non-receipt of any entry regardless of the cause of it not being properly received by Administrator. Administrator & Others are not responsible for illegible, unintelligible, late, lost or stolen entries; for incorrect or inaccurate entry information, whether caused by Internet users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Promotion; or for any technical, printing or human errors which may occur in the receipt, non-receipt or processing of any entries, Tickets or Ticket stubs in the Promotion. In no event will Administrator award more Grand Prizes than are stated in these Official Rules. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Promotion, as solely determined by Administrator, will be disqualified and may be subject to prosecution. Any person attempting to enter using multiple email addresses, multiple identities or any other device or artifice to enter multiple times or to interfere with the proper play of the Promotion will be disqualified from participation in the Promotion. If, in the judgment of Administrator, the Promotion is compromised by viruses, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes beyond the control of Administrator, which or may corrupt the administration, security, fairness or proper play of the Promotion, Administrator reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify, discontinue, suspend or terminate the Promotion and proceed to select potential Winner in a manner it deems fair and reasonable.
ADMINISTRATOR & OTHERS MAKE NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NONINFRINGEMENT AS REGARDS ANY PRIZE OR ANY COMPONENT OF ANY PRIZE. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OF EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS TO LEARN IF ANY OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
8. PUBLICITY AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: By accepting a prize, each Prize Recipient agrees to allow Administrator and/or Administrator's designees the perpetual right to use his/her name, biographical information, contest submission, photos, videos and/or likeness, and statements for promotion, trade, commercial, advertising and publicity purposes, at any time or times, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide, including but not limited to on the World Wide Web and Internet, without notice, review or approval and without additional compensation except where prohibited by law.
Entrants grant the Administrator all rights of ownership, reproduction, and use of entries for any purpose whatsoever without compensation or further permission, including but not limited to an irrevocable and perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide right, in all media (now known or later developed) to assign, use, publish, edit, adapt, modify, alter, reproduce, distribute, display, copyright, create derivative works or otherwise exploit entries, for commercial or non-commercial use, and without compensation to the Entrant. By entering the Contest, each Entrant waives any and all rights he or she may have to his or her Entry. To the extent Entrant has any rights in the Entry; Entrants assigns all such rights to the Administrator by entering the Contest.
9. GOVERNING LAW: Issues concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules shall be governed by the laws of Washington, DC.
10. RELEASE: By participating, each entrant releases and agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Administrator & Others from and against any and all costs, claims, damages, or any other injury, whether due to negligence or otherwise, to person(s) or property (including, without limitation, death or violation of any personal rights, such as violation of right of publicity/privacy, libel, or slander), due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to participation in the Promotion, or arising out of the receipt, use or misuse, or enjoyment of any Prize.
11. GENERAL: By entering the Promotion, entrants agree to abide and to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Administrator, which shall be final in all matters pertaining to this Promotion. Void outside of the fifty (50) United States/District of Columbia and wherever prohibited or restricted by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Entries become property of Administrator and will not be returned.
12. WINNER’S LIST: To obtain the names of the Grand Prize Winner, send a properly stamped, self-addressed envelope, by October 17, 2021, to AARP Winner’s List, AARP Ohio, Attention: Wise Friend & Fierce Defender, 41 South High Street, Suite 3550, Columbus, Ohio 43215.
13. THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS IN NO WAY SPONSORED, ENDORSED OR ADMINISTERED BY, OR ASSOCIATED WITH VISA, BY ENTERING, ENTRANTS AGREE TO RELEASE VISA FROM ANY LIABILITY RELATING TO THIS SWEEPSTAKES.