Refresh your Driving Skills with the AARP Smart Driver Course
When: Tuesday, March 19, 9am – 4pm
Where: MedStar Washington Hospital Center / National Rehabilitation Hospital, TeleCenter & TeleConference Room, 102 Irving Street NW, Washington, DC 20010
Cost: The fee for the course is $15 for AARP members and $20 for non-members. Payment must be by check or cash. Credit cards cannot be accepted. (Note: Instructors are unpaid volunteers)
Register: To register or ask questions call Driving Instructor Scott Hunt at 202-431-5107 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- By completing the course, you may qualify for a reduction in auto insurance—check with your insurance company about their policy.
- Bring your AARP card, your Driver’s License, and payment for the course, and plan to arrive by 8:45am to check in for the course.
- Light refreshments will be provided. There will also be a one-hour lunch break. You may bring your own lunch, or a Panera Bread is nearby.
- You must attend the entire course in order to receive the certificate to for your insurance company.
- A parking voucher will be provided to all who complete the course.
About the AARP Smart Driver Course
The AARP Smart Driver course is geared towards drivers, age 50 and over (though any driver may attend). It is not a behind-the-wheel course but a classroom seminar with a good deal of interaction between the participants. There is no pass-fail. During the course, you will learn:
- How to minimize dangerous blind spots
- How to maintain a proper following distance
- Safe ways to merge with traffic, change lanes and make turns at busy intersections
- Proper use of seat belts, air-bags, and getting your best seating position for driving
- New technologies to assist in accident prevention like anti-lock brakes, skid control, blind-spot monitoring, collision avoidance and others
- Effects of medications and distractions on driving, and how to manage them
- New laws and challenges of driving in Washington, DC like bicycle lanes, scooters, traffic circles, and road changes
The Course will be offered in DC several times this year in several different locations. To find these and other AARP Smart Driver courses go to: www.aarp.org/drive and click on LOCATE, or call 1-800-846-3299.