AARP California is looking for a livable communities intern to work in our downtown Sacramento office (with a lovely view of the State
Fair warning: You will not hone your coffee-making skills at AARP. Instead, we really work to provide our interns with valuable learning experiences, so this internship is highly customizable.
The position will assist our Associate State Director, Community with executing our Livable Communities (LC) Strategy and agenda, which includes:
- Building an awareness of AARP’s LC work through coordination of events and project management
- Engaging at the community level to build partnerships in the LC realm; including working with volunteers
- Coordinating communication with our multi-disciplinary statewide Livable Communities Advisory Team; including webinars
- Educating and helping the 50+ audience on ways to stay in their homes and communities
- Outreach to public officials, community organizations, and coalitions on LC issues including housing, transportation, and complete streets
- Research related to policy and initiatives
- Drafting outreach materials (infographics, fact sheets, PowerPoints, etc.)
- Providing administrative support as needed
Desired skills and responsibilities:
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively
- Able to handle multiple projects
- Team oriented
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Intermediate to advance proficiency in Microsoft Office, Social Media Platforms (Twitter and Facebook)
The ideal candidate will be a graduate student pursuing a degree in public policy, urban planning, political science, social work, community development or related fields. Must have reliable transportation and available 20 to 30 hours a week.
Intern must be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
For more information, contact Christina Clem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 916-556-3024