Caregiving for Veterans and military service members can be a tough job as many may suffer from wounds that are easily visible and or not. AARP created the Military Caregiver Guide to provide caregivers with resources and tips on how to effectively care for your loved one.
The Military Caregiver Guide focuses on five key messages:
1. Talk it out - Talk about your wounded warrior’s health care and financial needs
2. Team up -Build a support group. Ask your family, friends, or colleagues for help. Your caregiving responsibilities should not stress you out
3. Make a plan - Knowing how you will respond to a problem when they arise will be less stressful
4. Seek Professional Support - Search for organizations and professionals who have experience with helping military and Veteran caregivers
5. Care for yourself - Be aware of your feelings and needs. Map out possible self-care activities you can do while being a caregiver to your loved one
Remember, you are not alone! To find more information on the Military Caregiving Guide and other resources to help, please visit AARP Prepare to Care website. #AARPSalutesVets