AARP Eye Center
November is National Family Caregivers Month, which seeks to shine a bright light on the more than 48 million American heroes, including 530,000 here in Minnesota, helping care for their loved ones independently at home – where they want to be.
Minnesota's family caregivers provide 500 million hours of care annually, adding up to $10 Billion in unpaid labor annually. Family caregivers spend countless hours managing medications, preparing meals, helping with bathing and dressing, and so much more. The financial, physical and emotional toll is great on them.
This is why AARP fights for commonsense solutions to save time, money and provide more support. Chances are, if you are not a family caregiver, you know someone who is. Take time this month to thank one in your life for their time and dedication.
I Am A Caregiver
AARP is launching a nationwide movement, I Am A Caregiver. To many lawmakers, America’s millions of caregivers are invisible. Yet, these family caregivers hold up a broken long-term care system. Which is why AARP is looking for your help; we are starting a movement of family caregivers to show lawmakers that we are a powerful constituency who need support now.
Raise your hand and join the fight at aarp.org/iamacaregiver.
Fighting for Caregiver in Minnesota
AARP is calling on Congress and state legislatures to pass legislation that will help family caregiver save time and money, and provide more support. In Minnesota, AARP will be fighting to ensure implementation of the recently passed Paid Family & Medical Leave law and supports for family caregivers.
Join us in these efforts by signing up to receive state advocacy updates here https://www.aarp.org/getinvolved.
Resources for Family Caregivers
AARP offers free resources to help those caring for loved ones to help them navigate their role as a caregiver and provide more support.
- Minnesota Caregiver Resource Guide: A resource guide tailored specifically to your home state to provide you with resources to meet you where you are.
- Caregiver Resources: Resources on caregiver life balance, financial and legal issues, care at home, health and more.
- 10 Tips for Family Caregivers: A list of ten tips to get started on your caregiving journey.
- Financial Workbook for Caregivers: A guide focused on health, housing and money management for caregivers.
- AARP Caregiving Community: An AARP online community where caregivers can talk with other caregivers and get answers from experts in the community