Content starts here
AARP AARP States Montana Finances 50+

Don't Forget Tax Credit for Older Residents


AARP Montana wants residents 62 and older to remember that they may be eligible for the state’s Elderly Homeowner/Renter Tax Credit Program if their total household gross income is less than $45,000 a year.

Renters and homeowners who qualify for the credit may get up to $1,000 off their taxes. If their tax credit exceeds their tax liability, they can get the additional amount as a refund.

To claim the credit, fill out Pages 1 and 9 of Form 2, the main state income tax form. If you are not filing a return, you may claim the credit at by clicking on File a Return.

For assistance and information, go to or call the state Department of Revenue at 406-444-6900.

Montanans can also visit the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site ( or call a volunteer at 888-227-7669.

About AARP Montana
Contact information and more from your state office. Learn what we are doing to champion social change and help you live your best life.