The 2022 hurricane season begins June 1 and ends November 30, but already predictions are it will be an "above average" season. Colorado State University's annual outlook calls for 19 named storms, nine hurricanes, and four major hurricanes. There's a 46% chance of a major storm hitting the Gulf Coast.
No one can predict where a storm will hit, so it is essential to be ready and have a hurricane plan. That plan should include what to do before, during, and after a storm hits. AARP Texas has put together a list of tips, checklists, resources, and vital information to keep you up to date on the latest news. We will also update this page as needed.
While we cannot predict which communities will be hit by a storm, one thing we can do is monitor the weather and radar.
We at AARP know people who are 50+ sometimes face additional challenges. That’s why AARP is teaming up with the Red Cross in Houston to help you get ready. The idea is to help you stay informed, alert, and safe. There's even an app you can download. Here are a few tips to help you plan for the 2022 Hurricane Season.
Before a storm hits, put together a Basic Emergency Kit. Check emergency equipment, such as flashlights, generators, and storm shutters.
- Gather food, water, and medicine. Stores and pharmacies might be closed.
- Have a 1-month supply of medication in a child-proof container.
- Keep personal, financial, and medical records safe.
- Have enough pet food.
Storm prep videos (in English and Spanish)
Videos to help you prepare, endure, and recover from a storm:
- Disaster Supply Checklist
- Lista de Suministros para Emergencias Durante Desastres
- How to Prepare your Home for Hurricane Season
- Como preparar su hogar para la temporada de huracanes
- Evacuate or shelter in place
- Cuando evacuar, opciones y refugios
- Have insurance and other documents ready during a disaster
- Revise el seguro y otros documentos importantes antes de la temporada de huracanes
What to pack in "grab and go" and "shelter in place" bags.
|“Grab & Go” Bag (3 days)||“Shelter in Place” Bag (14 days)|
|Food & Water||Food & Water|
- 2019 AARP 50+ Emergency Preparedness Checklist (English)
- 2019 AARP 50+ Emergency Preparedness Checklist (Spanish)
- Emergency Kit and Plan Checklist
- Generator Safety Checklist
- 7 Tips to Avoid Fraud After Natural Disasters
Download the Red Cross Hurricane Safety Checklist
Hurricane Safety Checklist - English
Hurricane Safety Checklist - Spanish
Download the FREE Red Cross Emergency App
Apple Store » or Google Play »
Aplicación de Emergencias - disponible en español »