AARP Eye Center
November is National Family Caregivers Month, which seeks to shine a bright light on the more than 48 million American heroes, including the 3.1 million here in Texas, helping care for their loved ones independently at home – where they want to be.
Texas family caregivers provide 2.9 billion hours of unpaid care every year, adding up to $41 billion in unpaid labor annually. Family caregivers spend these countless hours managing medications, preparing meals, helping with bathing and dressing and so much more. The financial, physical and emotional toll is great on them.
This is why AARP fights for commonsense solutions to save time, money and provide more support. Chances are if you are not a family caregiver, you know someone who is. Take time this month to thank one in your life for their time and dedication.
I Am A Caregiver
AARP is launching a nationwide movement, I Am A Caregiver. To many lawmakers, America’s millions of caregivers are invisible. Yet, these family caregivers hold up a broken long-term care system. Which is why AARP is looking for your help; we are starting a movement of family caregivers to show lawmakers that we are a powerful constituency who need support now.
Raise your hand and join the fight at aarp.org/iamacaregiver.
Fighting For Caregivers in Texas
In recent years, AARP Texas has stood strong for family caregivers and their loved ones. We have hosted events and support programs throughout the state for family caregivers and have stood strong on a number of advocacy measures in the Texas Legislature.
AARP Texas worked to achieve passage of the Caregiver Advise, Record, and Enable (CARE) Act, which helps family caregivers when their loved ones go into the hospital and as they transition home. AARP also worked to increase funding for respite care for family caregivers. And in 2023, AARP Texas helped win approval of funding increases for Community Based Care workers and fought to protect the state Long-Term Care Ombudsmen.
Resources for Family Caregivers
AARP offers free resources to help those caring for loved ones to help them navigate their role as a caregiver and provide more support.
- Texas Resource Guide For Family Caregivers – A resource guide tailored specifically for Texans to provide you with resources to meet you where you are.
- Caregiver Resource Guide for All States.
- Caregiving Resources -- Resources on caregiver life balance, financial and legal issues, care at home, health and more.
- 10 Tips for Family Caregivers – A list of ten tips to get started on your caregiving journey.
- Financial Workbook for Caregivers – A guide focused on health, housing and money management for caregivers.
- AARP Caregiving Community – An AARP online community where caregivers can talk with other caregivers and get answers from experts in the community.
- AARP Facebook Group – A place to connect, share practical tips, offer support, and discuss family caregiving experiences.
- AARP Caregiving Support Line – A toll-free family caregiving line for those taking care of their loved ones.