We proudly salute our veterans, military and their families (VMF) who are vital in our country’s identity, as well as our nearly 4 million AARP members who have served. Designated by Congress in 1999, this month (May) is Military Appreciation Month, let’s jointly pay tribute to our many heroes who have served and are currently serving in our Armed Forces.The VMF community embodies our founder’s vision: Dr. Ethel Percy Andrus believed America’s older population to be “an army of useful citizens – to serve others, not to be served.”Hashtags for consideration:
Following are some resources for Veterans, Military, and their Families (VMF) and important dates to keep in mind:
- AARP's FREE Resources to Aid Veterans, Military, Their Families Amid COVID-19 Outbreak: Veterans & Military Families now have “Free Resources to Aid VMF Amid COVID-19 Outbreak” housed at www.aarp.org/veterans that aggregates health & financial links to help the VMF community during the global pandemic.
- AARP teamed up with the Elizabeth Dole Foundation to offer strategies to help caregivers of military personnel and veterans tackle the most critical issues:
- Military Caregiving Guide, a veteran-specific guide to help military and veteran caregivers tackle some of the most critical issues they’re facing because of COVID-19. Click here to download or print a copy.
- Five Ways to Update Your Caregiving Journey, a list of practical steps caregivers can take amid the coronavirus outbreak to better protect themselves and their loved ones. Click here to download or print a copy.
- AARP guidance for loved ones in a VA facility: If you have a loved one in a VA facility, ask these six questions about care during the pandemic. Click here to download or print a copy of the "Six Questions Families Need to Ask Regarding COVID-19".
- Financial resources for military or veteran-owned small businesses
- AARP Veteran Fraud Watch: Refresh yourself on scams targeting veterans and heed the warning signs. Sign up for free “watchdog alerts," review our scam-tracking map, or call our toll-free fraud helpline if you or a loved one suspect you’ve been a victim. Some of scams targeting veterans, military and their families are:
AARP Arkansas hosted a State-wide Tele-Town Hall on May 19, 2020 to discuss resources and information specific to Veterans, Military, and their Families during the COVID pandemic.
- Colonel Nate Todd, Secretary of the Arkansas Department of Veterans Affairs
- Tammy Fowler, Veterans Administration
- Dr. Margie Scott, Medical Director of the Central Arkansas Veterans Health Care System.
AARP hosted a National Tele-Town Hall on May 14, 2020 to discuss access to benefits and health services through the VA or general health care providers. Experts discussed financial and economic challenges veterans and active military are facing during the pandemic. A copy of the recording and full transcript of the session can be found at www.aarp.org/coronavirus.
- Rashi Venkataraman Romanoff, Vice President of Programs and Partnerships, Elizabeth Dole Foundation
- Lynda Davis, Ph.D., Chief Veterans Experience Officer, Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Charlie Koon, Vice President of Corporate and Military Development, F&M Bank
Important dates to remember in May:
- May 8: Victory in Europe (VE) Day (75th Anniversary)
- May 11-17: Armed Forces Week
- May 16: Armed Forces Day (weekend of May 15-17)
- May 25: Memorial Day (weekend of May 22-25)