In advance of the September 10 primary, Bridgeport residents are invited to hear the five 2019 mayoral candidates discuss their positions on the issues that affect their families and community at the free 2019 Bridgeport Mayoral Forum at The Klein Memorial Auditorium on Wednesday, Aug. 21, at 7 p.m.
The forum, sponsored by AARP Connecticut and Bridgeport Generation Now, will broadcast in English on Radio Cumbre 1450 AM. All five candidates on the Democratic and Republican primary ballots have committed to participate:
- Ethan Book (R)
- Dishon Francis (R)
- Joe Ganim (D)
- Marilyn Moore (D)
- John Rodriguez (R)
The event is free but requires advanced registration at https://aarp.cvent.com/BridgeportMayoral or by calling 1-877-926-8300. Check-in for attendees will begin at 6 p.m. and the 90-minute forum will begin promptly at 7 p.m.
Date: Wednesday, August 21
Time: 6:00 p.m.: Doors Open for Check-in
7:00 – 8:30 p.m.: Bridgeport Mayoral Candidate Forum
Location: The Klein Memorial Auditorium
910 Fairfield Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06605
A three-person panel of representatives from AARP Connecticut, Bridgeport Generation Now and Radio Cumbre will ask the candidates questions submitted by the sponsoring organizations. The questions will touch upon important issues such as quality of life, housing, governance, livability and public safety. AARP Connecticut State Director Nora Duncan will serve as the moderator and timekeeper.
AARP does not endorse candidates or make candidate/campaign contributions. Additional details of the forum:
- All candidates who qualified for the September democratic and republican ballots were invited to participate in the forum and provided a copy of the rules in advance.
- No candidate or partisan materials of any kind will be allowed at the forum, including flyers, t-shirts, buttons, etc.
- The candidates or their representatives will draw lots for order at 6:30 p.m. at the Klein. The candidates will be seated at a table with microphones in numerical order based on their number drawn.
- Each candidate will have 1 minute to make opening remarks and each question answer will be limited to 90 seconds. There are no rebuttals allowed. Each closing remark will be limited to one minute.
- Candidates will be allowed to use notepads and electronic devices.
- Seating is general admission and the audience will be asked to refrain from applause and comments.
- Members of Bridgeport Generation Now will be on hand with information.
- More about Bridgeport Generation Now: https://bptgennow.org/
- More about The Klein Memorial Auditorium, including parking information: https://www.theklein.org/