AARP Eye Center
Would you like to help struggling older adults put healthy food on their tables? Would you like to develop a set of skills that will benefit you while working for a world-class nonprofit? Then consider a year-long opportunity as an AARP Foundation AmeriCorps VISTA.
- Convene community leaders and members to identify SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) barriers and develop a comprehensive plan to improve access in local communities
- Recruit, manage, and train community volunteers to conduct information sharing and to develop SNAP program materials and application assistance materials along with related trainings for community-based organizations
- Improve access to nutritious food options by enhancing awareness of the availability to use SNAP benefits at farmers' markets; support local, community gardening and agriculture efforts; and provide nutrition education information and opportunities for low-income community members
Applications are due by Tuesday, May 6. Position starts July 25, 2014. Apply now.
Please send a resume and cover letter to the contact, Karen R. Cooper, email@example.com. Applicants should include "AmeriCorps VISTA Position" in the subject line. For more information, please contact Karen R. Cooper at 404-870-3787 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a one-year, full-time position beginning July 25, 2014. Ability to participate in evening and weekend events is expected. Because AmeriCorps VISTA service requires a full immersion in the project and community, both outside full and part-time employment are strictly prohibited - no exceptions. AmeriCorps VISTA members must also adhere to AmeriCorps policies regarding political and religious activities in the guidebook. For more information, please review the AmeriCorps VISTA Terms, Conditions, and Benefits information available here - http://bit.ly/1dAs2FM.
- $1062 Monthly Living Allowance, paid biweekly in the State of Georgia
- Segal Education Award ($5,645) or End-Of-Service stipend ($1,500)
- Health benefits*
- Opportunity to forbear student loans while in service
- Relocation assistance (if applicable)
- Childcare assistance (if applicable)
- Optional life insurance
- One-year non-competitive status for federal government positions
- A network of over 180,000 AmeriCorps VISTA members and alums
- You are responsible for finding your own housing. No housing allowance will be provided.
*Health benefits provided by participating in the AmeriCorps VISTA program currently do not meet the individual mandate of the Affordable Care Act. If an AmeriCorps VISTA participant does not enroll in a separate program to meet this mandate, they may be assessed a penalty payment. Position will require some travel in Georgia. Please provide a statement on whether or not you are available to travel to communities within Georgia, and if you have transportation to travel within Georgia (mileage would be reimbursed).
Photo Credit: Renee Cobb