AARP Eye Center
The AARP New Jersey State Office, located in Princeton, NJ, has openings for Fall, Spring, and Summer internship appointments! AARP Advocacy and Grassroots Interns are provided legislative education in both state and federal political spheres and gain first-hand knowledge of the New Jersey state legislature. Our advocacy work for the 50+ population gives interns exposure to real-world applications.
At the AARP NJSO, interns play a vital role in the development of advocacy and outreach campaigns. They learn firsthand how one of the largest non-profit organizations, dedicated to enriching the lives of older Americans, works, develops, and conveys its social impact message to 40+ million members.
This is an unpaid internship that can be for school credit.
- Monitoring and researching legislative activities
- Attending legislative hearings
- Meeting with state/federal officials
- Conducting research regarding legislative issues
- Assisting with planning and implementing grassroots organization tactics and legislative advocacy activities
- Working with advocacy staff and grassroots volunteers in all multicultural markets
- Producing materials in relation to legislative activities, the media, and the public
- Assisting with important non-partisan events.
- Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program.
- Must be able to work a minimum of 14 hours per week.
- Must have excellent communication, organizational, writing, and computer skills, ability to work independently as well as collaboratively, and exercise initiative.
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus
You application should be in Word Document form and should contain (all in one document):
- Cover Letter, including availability and why you should intern here
- Please indicate the semesters you are interested in. We prefer students who are available for more than 1 semester at a time.
- Writing Sample (optional – but helpful!)
- Send the document to AARPNJ@AARP.ORG with subject line “ADVOCACY/GRASSROOTS INTERNSHIP – [Your First And Last Name]”
- We apologize, we are not able to respond back to every applicant – please rest assured that your application was received and reviewed, and you will be contacted for an interview if necessary.