The state-sanctioned monopoly Florida Power & Light (FPL) is asking the Florida Public Service Commission (PSC, the state’s regulatory board) for permission to jack up its power rates at the expense of Y-O-U, one of AARP’s 1.6 million members who will be hit by this increase, if approved. Now is your chance to raise your voice by contacting the PSC.
Here are FPL’s two main requests that will impact your monthly power bill:
1) A GUARANTEED 11.5 percent return on equity ... that means FPL investors would be guaranteed a 11.5 percent return on their investments. Is your bank offering you such lucrative investment schemes at the expense of its customers? If granted, this return on equity would be the highest in the nation and more than 2 percent above the U.S. average of 9.55 percent. Monopolies like FPL made record profits during the COVID-19 pandemic, so why should their shareholders make even more off the backs of ratepayers like you?
2) A $2 BILLION base-rate increase over the next 4 years — this is what you are charged for the amount of power you use and the costs needed to produce it. This amounts to more than a 15 percent increase over four years. That means, you will be paying a minimum of $216 more a year starting January 2025. Don’t even get us started on the other increases FPL will seek, such as storm-cost recovery fees, storm-hardening fees, or nuclear-cost recovery.
They’re just getting started folks. That’s why we ask that you raise your voice before they raise your rates! Here’s how:
Sign up to testify during a PSC virtual hearing. The PSC scheduled nine virtual hearings for customer testimony. Tell them you’re fed up with Tallahassee rubber stamping all of FPL’s requests to increase your monthly power bill and that Floridians are having problems making ends meet each day.
Sign up for one of these hearings at least two days before the hearing you wish to attend:
- Monday, June 21 at 10 am*
- Tuesday, June 22 at 2 pm
- Tuesday, June 22 at 6 pm*
- Thursday, June 24 at 2 pm*
- Thursday, June 24 at 6 pm
- Friday, June 25 at 10 am*
- Thursday, July 1 at 2 pm
- Thursday, July 1 at 6 pm*
- Friday, July 2 at 10 am*
* denotes Spanish translation available.
Register to speak via video during one of these hearings.
Customers without internet access or who do not wish to be on camera can sign up to speak at the same hearings via phone by calling the commission at 850-413-7080.
Write the PSC!The pen is still mightier than the sword, but we need a lot of ink from our 1.6 million members who will be impacted by this increase. You can contact them by email or mail.
We’ve set up an email the sends directly to the PSC clerk’s inbox. Click here to fill out the form and be sure to add your own message in the text box.
Not email savvy? No worries, send a handwritten letter to the PSC at the following address and use the FPL docket number provided:
Florida Public Service Commission
2540 Shumard Oak Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Be sure to reference Docket No. 20210015-EI in your letter
Older Floridians are already paying record high prescription drug and housing costs, tacking on a higher power bill will only add stress to their pocketbooks. Help us stand up to FPL and raise your voice today! We cannot do it without you.