On Saturday, August 15 from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., AARP Hawaii will join a host of community organizations for the 9th annual Aging in Place Workshop at the Ala Moana Hotel in Honolulu. The event is sponsored by KHON-2 and Generations magazine, and more than 45 exhibitors will be on hand to offer information and resources of interest to Hawaii’s adults and their families.
One of the highlights of the event will be a celebration of the 80th anniversary of Social Security with a cake-cutting ceremony and birthday sing-a-long in the Hibiscus Ballroom at 11:15 a.m. The public is invited to join AARP and friends in marking this milestone and reasserting our commitment to keeping Social Security strong for future generations.
Throughout the day AARP will offer informative presentations in the Pakalana Room. Registration is not required for this event, but come early to make sure you get a seat for any of the following:
- 8:30 a.m. – Prepare to Care - by Jackie Boland, AARP Hawaii Community Outreach Director. Session Description: Are you starting to take on more responsibility for helping an older loved one? Learn about five important action steps you can take now to help see you through your caregiving journey.
- 9:30 a.m. – Share the Care - Family Conversations That Work - by Tracey Wiltgen, Mediation Center of the Pacific. Session Description: Helping older loved ones is a challenge that you shouldn’t face on alone. Learn how to effectively involve the entire family.
- 10:30 a.m. – Home Modification for Aging in Place – by Ghissou Rosala and Susan Hurd, AARP. Session Description: Learn tips on how to modify your home for safety, comfort, and convenience for a lifetime.
- 11:15 a.m. – Happy 80th Birthday Social Security! Join the celebration in the Hibiscus Ballroom and enjoy a slice of birthday cake!
- 11:45 a.m. – Will Social Security Be There For You? – by Gerry Silva, AARP Hawaii State President. Session Description: Social Security is America’s most important social safety net for retirees, widows, orphans, and the disabled. Find out where the program stands now and learn more about proposals for change.
- 12:45 p.m. – AARP in Action – by Jackie Boland, AARP Hawaii Community Outreach Director. Session Description: Learn how AARP is engaging its members and the public to shape a better Hawaii. Find out how you can get involved.
- 1:45 p.m. – Avoiding Fraud and Scams – by Gerry Silva, AARP Hawaii State President. Session Description: Con artists are targeting you and the people you care about. Learn how to fight back and spot the crooks before they spot you.
The July/August of the AARP Bulletin features more information about the anniversaries of Social Security and Medicare this year.
See the full schedule of presentations offered by all organizations at the Aging in Place Workshop.