Five Kentucky areas received 2021 AARP Community Challenge grants for quick-action projects to boost the quality of life for residents.
The projects include:
- A pedestrian transportation corridor in Whitesburg to connect low-income housing and the central business district, allowing safer access to health clinics, grocery stores and more
- Enhanced educational tours with an audio guide at the Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame & Museum in Owensboro
- A marketing plan and social media outreach in the Louisville metro area, to promote the benefits of auxiliary dwelling units, which are second units on single- family lots that can help older residents age in place
- A new community garden in Paducah, with raised beds and Americans with Disabilities Act–compliant paths and ramps
- New benches, chairs, a table, a bingo machine and board games, to transform an empty patio at the Webster County Senior Center
Learn more about AARP's Livable Communities initiative.