We are busy finalizing the 2019 Portland Metro area NeighborWalks and we are excited to give you a speak peek at the schedule. This year’s season will start on May 28th and end October 12th. We are working hard to plan fun opening and closing celebrations as well as, of course, accessible routes and educational opportunities so we can learn about the history and current issues of the neighborhoods where we walk.
We may not be able to guarantee perfect 78 degree mornings or clear skies like many of you requested in your survey responses at the end of last year’s season. That said, NeighborWalks volunteers across the metro area are doing all we can to plan a great season! Be sure to save the date for the first walk and don’t forget to book mark this page and check back for updates and details.
2019 DRAFT Schedule
- Season’s Kickoff will be in Sellwood on May 28 @ 10am. Mark you Calendars!
- In June we will be exploring Luuwit Park and surrounding neigborhoods, walking from Willamette Park to Sellwood Bridge and visiting Gresham Downtown and Parks.
- July will see us exploring Alberta district, FoPo. That is Foster Powell in case you didn’t know. We will also be returning to one of our favorite walks in Washington County at the Orenco Station.In August we will be learning about wetlands in Happy Valley, soaking in Pier Park and exploring Roseway.
- September will take us to the oldest city in the state – Oregon City. We will also be enjoying the cool walkways of Tualatin Valley Natural Park, learning about new improvements in Gateway and Cully neighborhoods.
- In October, to end the season we will enjoy a transit friend exploration of Lents and end the season with a fabulous celebration in NE Portland on the 12th.
If you participated in any of the walks last year, you may recall that we introduced an online waiver system which made checking in on the day of the walk super easy. So we are doing it again! Instead of filling out the paper liability waiver form before each walk, we are excited to invite you again to complete the liability waiver online for the whole season. You need only complete the online waiver one time for the entire season, and doing so means you won’t have to bother with filling out the paper form at the beginning of each walk this season! Click here to complete the 2019 online waiver.
NeighborWalks Volunteer Training:
All new and returning NeighborWalks volunteers are required to attend an annual NeighborWalks volunteer training. This year that training is scheduled for April 18th. If you are interested in joining the team, please first plan to attend one of three general volunteer openhouses. In addition to learning the basics of becoming an AARP volunteer, at the you will also get the details about the NeighborWalks volunteer training. If you are not able to attend any of the openhouses above, but would like to join the NeighborWalks team this year, email firstname.lastname@example.org with “NeighborWalks Volunteer” in the subject line.
NeighborWalks is supported by Metro Regional Transportation Options program.