Andy Rooney said it well: “The idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone.” And yet, we now live longer, healthier and more productive lives. We have an incredible “longevity bonus”. And AARP Oregon is here to help you realize your Real Possibilities to make the most out of life as you age.
We have three great events upcoming – Vital Aging Conferences in Eugene, Medford and Portland that will give you food for thought, inspire you and help you discover how aging is an asset!
We want to share how:
- To embrace aging as something to look forward to; not something to fear;
- To see it as a period of growth, not decline;
- To recognize the opportunities, not just the challenges; and, perhaps most importantly,
- To see ourselves and others as contributors to society, not burdens.
- Become inspired by great speakers!
According to AARP CEO, Jo Ann Jenkins, “We need to change the conversation because a demographic revolution is disrupting the way we age.” For example,
- Here in the U.S., 10,000 people a day are turning 65—a trend that will continue for more than 10 years.
- Over the next two decades, the number of people age 65 and older will nearly double to more than 72 million—or 1 in 5 Americans.
- So we hope you join us. Please click on the link of the town near you to learn details of these fun, inspirational events. They are free, but you must pre-register.
[Istock photo: iStock-876838286 FatCamera - Vital Aging.jpg]