AARP Eye Center
From our October 7 telephone town hall with volunteer Donna Dean, below are Ten Steps to help YOU Get Ready for Retirement as well as the other resources discussed on the call.
1. Define Your Retirement
2. Take Stock of Your "Assets"
3. Evaluate Your Health — Now
4. Determine When to Collect Social Security
(Here’s a hint: Later Is Better!)- www.aarp.org/socialsecuritybenefits.
5. Network through Social Media and Other Methods
6. Decide How Much You Want (or Need) to Work- www.aarp.org/jobs.
7. Create a Retirement Budget- www.aarp.org/retirementcalculator.
8. Find New Ways to Cut Your Expenses – also known as Start Saving More
9. Prepare for the Unexpected- www.aarp.org/decide.
10. Stick to Your Plan (The AARP Community Can Help)
AARP offers members FREE Social Security webinars. You can find information about our next webinar at www.aarp.org/moneywebinars.
For specific questions about Social Security benefits, including disability, please contact Social Security directly. www.ssa.gov or toll-free 1-800-772-1213 (7 am to 7 pm, Monday thru Friday, local time).
Looking for Medicare information and advice?
Visit www.medicare.gov for more information and call the SHIP program for FREE Medicare Counseling. In Tennessee, contact SHIP toll-free by calling 1-877-801-0044. SHIP is nationwide! Visit www.shiptalk.org to find a counselor near you.